V & V

Started by The Great Maudu, August 22, 2017, 05:51:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Great Maudu

Van Staal and Vercelli Unabomber. Somehow I have been missing out on this forum  :o
Glad I finally found it. Anyway, here's a great combo for the surf. These Vercelli rods have a surprising amount of back bone. Any of you guys fished one of these? The VS was my dream reel and I looked for years until the right one came along.

anglingarchitect

I have a VS and love mine, it took many years before I would spend that much on a reel.

steelfish

great combo, can you please post the size of the reel and specs of the rod?

I am surf fishing lover but there is no big action for heavy surf rods here, that never stopped me to get me a 1505 rainshadow surf rod and Tsunami airwave 9ft that I paired to my van stall VS275, love the combo but the reel is just too big for triggers and spotted bay bass and an ocational 5# spanish mack from the shore ;D ;D

I will use the van stall for boat fishing but haven found a nice spinning boat rod for it.
The Baja Guy

Newell Nut

I am using a Seeker Hercules GTS70LH 20-40 for my offshore spinning rod. Works great.

The Great Maudu

The reel is a 250 which imo is a great all around reel. The rod specs are listed on eBay. Just search Vercelli Unabomber. For the life of me I don't know why they called it the unabomber.

steelfish

That Vercelli rod look like a nice piece of gear, its a competition rod like Zipplex and other specialized rod for distance casting comps.

any recent catchs with that combo?
I really havent caught anything worth posting on my Van Staal  :-[
The Baja Guy

David Hall

Every now and hen I allow myself to look at the VS lineup.  They are impressive looking pieces.  I know nothing about them but the fact that used ones are rarely seen on the auction site tells me that everyone that has them must really like them.  One day I hope to add one or two to my arsenal.  Great looking surf set up!

steelfish

Quote from: David Hall on September 08, 2017, 12:49:03 AM
Every now and hen I allow myself to look at the VS lineup.  They are impressive looking pieces.  I know nothing about them but the fact that used ones are rarely seen on the auction site tells me that everyone that has them must really like them.  One day I hope to add one or two to my arsenal.  Great looking surf set up!

Ir you really want one at a good price, used in good conditions, go to the site  Stripersonline com
In the selling section there seem that always are one or two VS for sale every week.
The Baja Guy

David Hall

Thanks I'll take a look.  I visit that site now and then.

The Great Maudu

The reason you don't see a lot of VS reels for sale is because they are like fishing with nothing else. You won't believe the difference until you actually fish one. They retrieve great, cast great, powerful drags, and what a pleasure not having to worry about salt or sand getting into the drags or gears. I looked long and hard for a Black, bailess VS with a serial number below 7000. It took a couple years to find but the wait is worth it.
The rod is great for casting and fighting fish in the surf. It is light for its size but has a lot of back bone. Casts as good or better than rods costing hundreds more.