Spider Weights

Started by Shark Hunter, August 22, 2017, 12:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapeFish

are those not tig welding rods?

Decker

Great thing about those types of sinkers is that you can use a lighter one.  Surf rods to throw big heavy sinkers are pricey pool cues.  I have one, but it is nice to use a lighter rod.

I'm interested about the copper toxicity.   What about effects in places without coral?   Or does it apply to things like oyster and mussel beds as well?

I know there are divers that go lead-hunting in the NJ inlets, and there sure is a lot of it down there.   Does the lead actually have a toxic effect on the inlet life?

Gives me incentive for making stone sinkers ;)

King rigger

yessir,that piqued my interest after seeing a 'how to' on it.Would look more natural.I have painted almost all terminal tackle flat black or OD green (clothespins,hooks,wire,etc.for years) BIG DIFFERANCE!   Have a blessed day, John.

thorhammer

hey King Rigger did you get my PM about 9/0

sdlehr

Quote from: Decker on August 23, 2017, 02:05:11 PM
I'm interested about the copper toxicity.   What about effects in places without coral?   Or does it apply to things like oyster and mussel beds as well?

My understanding is that these marine invertebrates (including oysters, mussels, snails, etc.) don't have iron-containing hemoglobin, they have a copper-containing protein that transports oxygen in their "hemolymph", which is similar to blood. They absolutely NEED this copper, so they have evolved ways to absorb it very efficiently, but too efficiently if the copper in the water gets to too high a level. It's analogous to iron toxicity in people, who have evolved ways to scavenge small amounts of iron from food that contains little iron, but if you consume too much iron (usually kids that like the taste of iron-containing vitamins) it grows to toxic levels.

Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

oc1

Natural copper levels are about 1/5 ounce in an Olympic size swimming pool.  If you break off and leave a couple of ounces of copper behind it will be corroded away in a few months.  But, not all of the copper released is in a form that can be taken up by the animals and that which is toxic is carried off by currents and mixing.  The problem is not confined to reefs because there are larval stages, zooplankton and things living in the sediment everywhere.  So, you're not really killing off the marine life in the area where you are fishing, but you are adding to a global problem.

The zinc in galvanizing and sacrificial anodes is almost as toxic as copper.  Then there's the tri-butyl tin in antifouling paints, hydrocarbons in motor exhaust, the much larger problems of run-off from the land and on and on.  It is difficult to know which of our individual actions are having the most impact.  About all we can do is recognize and keep in mind that every little bit hurts.
-steve

David Hall

So I guess I will try making my copper rock fishing jigs out of aluminum tubing, maybe fill them with sand instead of lead, find a new copperLess bottom paint for my boat.  Amd all this time I thought the fish feared me because of my angling skills, turns out I'm a toxic copper reef killer.  Does this count as part of my carbon footprint?  Or do I now have both a carbon and a copper footprint?  And yes I am making light of a serious thing here so don't go getting all upset about it.  It's just that its kind of like the cows are all out of the barn. It's to late to close the door.

Shark Hunter

David,
I think George Carlin put it best.
When the world is done with us, It will shake us off like a bad case of fleas. ;)
When I go fishing. I leave the area just as it was when I came, or better.
I just wish others would do the same.
Life is Good!

oc1

Look on the bright side Dave.  Your carbon foot print is causing ocean acidification.  The ocean acidification increases the toxicity of available copper a lot.  It's like getting a tufer (two for the price of one).  
-steve

Decker

This conversation has gotten a bit heavy :P  Spider, sputnik weights are awesome!!! 8)

Bryan Young

Whoa, it wasn't meant to get so deep.  Spider Weights are intended to get stuck in the rocks and coral reefs.  I don't want people to believe the use of copper wire is okay for something that could be permanently left in the reef as the weight is designed to get stuck.  That's it.

Regarding copper pipe lures, they work great, in part that in salt water, they do generate a little electricity mimicking bait fish and is a great attractant for larger predators.  I do sometime tie my flies with thin copper strand of wire for this very reason.  

Copper bottom paint is supposed to keep these vertebrates off the bottom of the boat.  I do believe that it doesn't harm wildlife unless the paint chips off.  Dave, I know you take care of your boat, so you need not be concerned.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Jeri

Hi All,

Copper is a hugely toxic element in excess, especially in a marine environment. Commercially in Europe it is banned in all anti-foul treatments, only some of the navies use it, one of the main naval harbours had an issue a few years back, where a lot of bottom dwelling fish like Flounders were being found with huge sores over their bodies, and this was traced back to their living or passing through areas where naval craft were docked. Basically in very small quantities it kills everything except some of the large marine animals.

When building up a new marine aquarium, builders will be fastidieous about not getting a single copper wire clipping in the tank, for it will kill all of the simpler forms of marine animal, to the point where it will also stain the silicone sealants blue.

In the old days, copper was used to shealth the wooden boats to prevent marine borers and algae growth, and can still be found on wrecks of old wooden boats 100's years after they had sunk. The wood in most cases has long since decayed, but the copper is still there bright and shiny, with absolutely no marien growth. Hence the term a 'copper bottomed investment'.

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

ScottOz

Hi Guy's,I made up last year or early this year after talking to Shark Hunter.At first used copper pipe filled with lead without a thought.Now Use cheap curtain rod that come in 16or 19mm diam.The wires are different diam fencing wire, some are high tensile wire for big baits.Lead filled.
Scott.

Shark Hunter

Despite all the Controversy this post about my weights has become.
I will still use them as I always have.
There is nothing but sand where I fish,
I leave nothing but my footprints.
Maybe a Shark or two swimming in the depths, wondering what just happened. ;)
Life is Good!