Two recent purchases

Started by jason_purdy, August 23, 2017, 12:00:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

philaroman

beg to differ -- the Japanese collectors indeed have deep pockets, but what they go nuts for is usually good-quality (Abu reels, Phillipson glass rods, etc.)  very few domestic reels are of interest to them & the few that are ain't so inferior:

the earliest Ueno Seiko Olympic Model 81, 82, 83, 84, 85 are really nice French clones & rare in good condition...  maybe materials are not the greatest, but workmanship is excellent

some later Japan-made Olympic LTD reels can be OK for use, but most are quite common & not collection-worthy

the late 70's Korean Olympics are pure crap -- good for ballast...  not to insult the Koreans -- they make some really nice stuff, now, just like Taiwan, but they all started out making cheap crap for Western markets, like post-war Japan...  that's what makes late 50's Ueno Seiko unusual -- NOT CRAP!

foakes

Agree with Roman --

A friend of mine, who resells estates -- has a connection in Japan.  They give him their credit card, along with authorization to buy for them.

He fills a overseas storage container full of particular types of Levis, Hot Wheels, fishing gear, sports memorabilia, sports jackets, and military historical uniforms.  Then it gets shipped out of Long Beach, destined for Japan -- and these fellows resell the items in a retail store.

They know their market well.

Twice, they came to my shop -- spent a half day each trip -- just combing through baitcasting rods, some reels, and other tackle.  The prices paid were possibly twice or three times what I could get for the items domestically.

And like a lot of my stuff -- it was of no interest locally, anyway -- just considered old school and boring.

The Japanese market can, and does get hot and cold -- but like the stock market -- if you keep in it -- the gains are solid over the long run.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

jason_purdy

Sounds like I got lucky-I appreciate all the information gents.

-Jason

Midway Tommy

Quote from: philaroman on August 24, 2017, 08:19:04 PM
beg to differ -- the Japanese collectors indeed have deep pockets, but what they go nuts for is usually good-quality (Abu reels, Phillipson glass rods, etc.)  very few domestic reels are of interest to them & the few that are ain't so inferior:

the earliest Ueno Seiko Olympic Model 81, 82, 83, 84, 85 are really nice French clones & rare in good condition...  maybe materials are not the greatest, but workmanship is excellent

some later Japan-made Olympic LTD reels can be OK for use, but most are quite common & not collection-worthy

the late 70's Korean Olympics are pure crap -- good for ballast...  not to insult the Koreans -- they make some really nice stuff, now, just like Taiwan, but they all started out making cheap crap for Western markets, like post-war Japan...  that's what makes late 50's Ueno Seiko unusual -- NOT CRAP!

Geez, no reason to get all bent out of shape, you just agreed with most of my previous comment. Me: "Those Japanese dudes seem to have deep pockets" &  "for a '50s or '60s inferior quality clone." You: "the Japanese collectors indeed have deep pockets" & "maybe materials are not the greatest."

Many excellent condition Japanese made reels have been going back to Japan at high prices just like many Italian made reels are going back to Italy, French reels going back to France, German reels to Germany, etc. I have personally witnessed, and been part of, those interactions, and, I never said or insinuated anything about any reels being "CRAP!".  

Just because I limit what I'm willing to spend on a shelf fish reel, don't take it personally. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)