Penn 118 bridge shaft loose

Started by mikeysm, February 03, 2018, 02:51:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeysm

I just bought a Penn 118 bridge from Scotts. I was installing a stainless sleeve and noticed the shaft was loose. It can be turned back and forth. It is simply unacceptable for my current project. Has anyone come across this issue. I plan on calling Monday to return it. From now on I am checking every bridge I install to make sure. You think if it's new means their is not a problem.

Mike

alantani

any chance of just peening it and getting it tight again?  i do that quite a bit with the smaller bridge plates. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Shark Hunter

Never seen that on a Big Senator Mike. You should have took John up on a used one.
It was probably better quality.
Life is Good!

mikeysm

Alan if it was used I would peen it but it's new and I expect it to be right. I have to much in parts to take a chance. It looks thin already and peening would only make it worse.

Mike

Bryan Young

They will make it right. It happens. With the amount of incoming and outgoing parts, there's gotta be some unknown defective parts. Cut them some slack. They will make it right.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mikeysm

I know that its the shipping I hate paying. Also its hard to ship since im back to work. Next time i want it checked before shipping.

Mike

Shark Hunter

Mike,
I don't know what you are building, but I have built a lot of Big Senators from parts.
It is not Lucrative if you don't get some deals.
You would be better off buying a nice used one.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 03, 2018, 05:36:45 AM
They will make it right. It happens. With the amount of incoming and outgoing parts, there's gotta be some unknown defective parts. Cut them some slack. They will make it right.

I agree!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mikeysm

I know but I dont need the complete reel for my project. I was working on trades for some parts. Im almost done now anyway.

Mike

mikeysm

Scotts is going to send me a new bridge and a pickup tag to send the defective bridge back. They inspected the one they are sending to make sure the shaft is tight. I learned from this to check all my new bridges you can never tell if one got by at the factory.

Mike

swill88

I'm glad it worked out for you Mike but, now, you don't get a chance to peen one back into operation. Any regrets? ;D

mikeysm

I just bought a good hammer gun for work. I could make a tool to rivet with. It isn't a rotary rivet machine but with practice it might work. I tested the 118 bridge shaft with a magnet. It isnt magnetic so its might be 316 ss. all the other bridges I have the shafts are magnetic so they can be hardened. I was thinking of making a Stainless bridge but i need to decide on the metal to use.

Mike

mikeysm

MysticParts sent me a new bridge on saturday. It arrived on monday. I sent the bad bridge back today. That the fastest turn arround ever.

Mike

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Reel 224

Mike: I live near Scots and I can assure you they are great people to deal with.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

mizmo67

Sorry, I have not been in there due to family medical leave. Finally home now!

Glad Scott was able to get things flipped around for you. Defective parts we always swap out, as sometimes they do slip past whomever is packing the order.

Have a good season!
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com