Found some more good deals on old rods and reels

Started by festus, August 25, 2017, 12:42:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

I found these vintage 9 Mitchell 300s today for 18 bucks.  All are rough, 6 of them just need disassembled, cleaned, and re-lubed.  Got some more goodies back there, Abu 5500 and Abu 4600, and Penn No. 9 baitcasters, some DAM Quicks, and a Shimano Bantum.

wailua boy

Tiddlerbasher

thorhammer

Uh you might have said look at the deal I got on this big $18!!! And got some other stuff thrown in. That haul would still be a deal at a hundred.  Nice work.

John

mhc

What they said. I would have thought I got a great bargain if I payed $18 for the two ABUs.
Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

thorhammer

Quote from: thorhammer on August 25, 2017, 09:56:56 AM
Uh you might have said look at the deal I got on this big $18!!! And got some other stuff thrown in. That haul would still be a deal at a hundred.  Nice work.

John

I meant the big Quick.

festus

I didn't make myself clear, lol.  Got the 9 Mitchells for $18.  The two Abus were 8 bucks each.  Got two of the 220N DAM Quick for 8 bucks each too.  The Penn Peerless #9 was $8.  The big Quick 550N was thrown in for free and the bag of jigs was fifty cents. Also got two St Croix Premier rods, one baitcaster and one UL spinning for 4 bucks apiece.  One had never been used and both the St Croix are $120 at BPS.  Also  got a Silstar and some off brand camo rod for 4 bucks apiece. Old balsa wood Rapalas never used are still in the box for 2 bucks apiece........I'm going back tomorrow!!!

thorhammer

happyhooker

Well done; no cop car lights in your rear view window after you left?

Rivverrat

Yup, he stole them !

One man's toss aways are another's treashure....Jeff

happyhooker

Hey, we're lucky all that good stuff ended up with somebody that will do something good with it.

happyhooker

Got some projects for the upcoming winter.

Some of you have heard this story earlier.  One of my sisters-in-law runs a consignment shop in central Minn.; she got a query from a lady, whose family once ran a resort, about disposing of some boxes of fishing reels.  Everything was just dumped in boxes with line all tangled up, dirty, etc.  I got to the party late after others had looked thru stuff, but still got some useful items.  An older style Mitchell 300 with the "hockey stick" anti-reverse lever, as well as a 301 with the line guide (fixed type) missing (why?), an earlier version of the Mitchell 300A (no, not a double red stripe), a Mitchell 309, a metal body Ryobi RSX2 (needs a new handle; thanks to foakes [Fred] for a schematic on this reel he had posted for an AT member a couple of years ago), an Abu Garcia Cardinal 653 (thanks again to foakes [Fred] for trying to find that spare 653 spool for me for a 653 I already had; this "new" reel will work out better for me than just a spool) and a bunch of old mostly metal and USA-made spincasters (Johnson, Shakespeare, Zebco, etc.)

I always looked down on spincast reels & still don't use them often; but a couple of years ago, I got 2 Zebco 33s, with rods, in good order, that someone had left curbside next to their trash, and I thought the reels were better made and more useful than I had previously figured.  When we have a nice sunny late October day here in Minnesota, and the temperature is in the mid-30s, you can fish a spincaster with gloves on, and that's better than no fishing at all.  No, they may never be my first choice for fishing, but these old spincasters are kinda special & harken back to the '60s when even this type of reel was made to last.

I'm not sure why I seem to be a magnet for the old lefty Mitchells (I'm a righty, but will fish lefty reels by switching hands after I cast).  The 301 & 309 will join my 301C in this category.  My wife, who is a lefty, gets to be the main beneficiary.

Frank

festus

Great looking collection of projects. l'll remember the winter spincaster tip...BTW, what's that big spincaster in the lower left corne?

happyhooker

Quote from: festus on October 14, 2017, 11:52:13 PM
Great looking collection of projects. l'll remember the winter spincaster tip...BTW, what's that big spincaster in the lower left corne?

An Eagle Claw; I will look for the model number.

happyhooker

That Eagle Claw spincaster is a Model EC-88-B.  The photo maybe doesn't show the color well; it's brown with a tan plastic cover.  Metal body and metal thumb button.