light rod for cod jigging

Started by ksong, August 25, 2017, 09:44:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ksong

After we got commercial limit of striper yesterday and we ventured out for cod jigging in the afternoon.
It was a blast to catch cod on jigs with light rods.
We fished around 150' - 250' using 8 - 10 oz jigs.

Park used Black Hole Challenger Bank M rod. I suggested him to use lighter Black Hole Cape Cod Slow Pitch jigging rods and he immediately loved it.   I used ultra light Black Hole Challenger Bank 691UL and Jeff used Black Hole Cape Cod Slow Pitch spinning rod.ear
we made three drifts in two hours and we came back early.

Benni3

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

ksong

akfish

I'm not sure I understand why you'd want a light rod if you're fishing with 8 or 10 oz. jigs. I would think you'd need some backbone just so the rod wouldn't bend double when you are working the jig.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

droppedit

I think it would be fun to use one of these but it would have to be in a similar situation as in the video and on a small boat. Unfortunately for me I have to do most of my jigging on a headboat or a 6 pack charter where the need of the heavier rod comes into play. Still watching this video reminds me of the nights fishing for channel cats with ultra lite spinning gear using 4lb test line. fun fun fun!

Dave

Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

ksong

Quote from: akfish on August 26, 2017, 02:18:07 PM
I'm not sure I understand why you'd want a light rod if you're fishing with 8 or 10 oz. jigs. I would think you'd need some backbone just so the rod wouldn't bend double when you are working the jig.
It is just testing. But I found it is much more fun to use ultra light rods for big fish. The rod has backbone to fish 8 - 10 oz jigs though.

ksong

Quote from: ksong on August 27, 2017, 12:05:19 AM
Quote from: akfish on August 26, 2017, 02:18:07 PM
It is just testing. But I found it is much more fun to use ultra light rods for big fish. The rod has backbone to fish 8 - 10 oz jigs though.
Light rod does not mean to use light line. I used 40 lb line to pull the cod hard. :)