Salt and corrosion in a saltist 40H

Started by mhc, August 26, 2017, 10:11:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

mhc

Not really Bill, I managed to get the pinion off after a few days with TS I321. The spool bearing under the pinion took a few more days of TSI 321 drops and then an hour in the ultrasonic with CLR. I marked the spool a bit trying to lever the bearing off - should of put something under the screw driver I used. I haven't cleaned the bearing yet but it feels OK with the TSI 321.

The spool wouldn't come out of the frame until the pinion was removed and the TSI 321 slowly spread through the salt and stuff. It seems to have dissolved a fair bit of the rubbish. The photo below is how the gear side of the frame looks now without any cleaning at all.

I haven't got back to the rest of the reel yet, but I have picked up some simple green concentrate to try but haven't got any saltX yet.
Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Cor

Looks like you're winning, will become a good useful reel still!
Cornelis

handi2

I no one tried to crank the reel when it was jammed up the gears should be good. After you get that last bearing out under the drive shaft write down the measurements and ill send a set to you. I can also send you a Carbontex set. This way the reel will stay super cheap ;D
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

mhc

Thanks for the offer Keith, but I've got a few spare bearings and a set of carbontex washers I bought for a 30T that didn't need them. Thanks for the reminder to finish cleaning this reel as well  ;D

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Soren Bredberg

Someone once told me use shower cleaner which you get at K-Mart.