Bearings question

Started by thunnus69, August 26, 2017, 02:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thunnus69

I recently picked up a penn international 30tw that Cal two speeded and blue printed.  All bearing do not have removeable shields.  They spin fine but I would prefer to rip the shields out, properly grease them and reinstall without shields.  Is this not a good idea? I am trying to avoid buying new bearings if I don't have to.
-Joe

alantani

Quote from: thunnus69 on August 26, 2017, 02:57:34 PM
I recently picked up a penn international 30tw that Cal two speeded and blue printed.  All bearing do not have removeable shields.  They spin fine but I would prefer to rip the shields out, properly grease them and reinstall without shields.  Is this not a good idea? I am trying to avoid buying new bearings if I don't have to.
-Joe

generally, i like spool bearings open, cleaned, lubed and installed open.  non-spool bearings i like to see packed with grease and the shields left on.  if you have a shield held in by a retaining ring, they carefully pick out the retaining ring, carefully remove the shield, pack the bearing with grease and replace the shields to hold in the grease.  if you have a shield that is pressed in, then the only way to remove the shield is to pry it and that ruins the shield.  a bearing packer is your best bet at that point, but bearing packers are expensive. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

thunnus69

Thanks Alan.  I was hoping to use the grease fitting you recently sent me.  I have used a fish hook to take springs out and remove shields.  Unfortunately these do not have a spring.  I may end up replacing the bearings with removable shields.  Where's the best place to get a full set?

alantani

Tiddlerbasher

I don't service that many reels (not like some here) BUT I have found that Alan's bearing packer is the Bees Knees ;D
It doesn't matter if the bearing has shields, or not, it will still get the grease in there.
Consider it an investment for the future.

This assumes the Boss still has some :-\

alantani

yup, got a bunch.  send a pm if interested.  thanks!