Slick Butt

Started by thunnus69, August 26, 2017, 03:01:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thunnus69

Does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes a fluted/ribbed slick butt?
-Joe

boon

Quote from: thunnus69 on August 26, 2017, 03:01:23 PM
Does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes a fluted/ribbed slick butt?
-Joe

Just wondering aloud, but wouldn't ribs on a slick butt defeat the purpose of each other?

thunnus69

I've seen too many slick butt break free and spin in place.  Ribs on the inside like many reel seat would resolve this.

droppedit

I have a bunch of home made reamers made out of sections of old blanks with granite grit epoxied onto the blank section. Use the reamer to score the inside of the slick butt and use sandpaper to score the outside of the blank you are sliding it on. This will work fine as long as the epoxy is mixed properly. I do this for all my reel seats too.
Hope this helps,

Dave

Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

Jeri

My thoughts exactly. Provide a proper key for the resin to adhere to, and there will be no problem. We always sand the inside of reel seats before glueing - never had one slip. Same would apply to the very slick inside of a moulded 'slick butt'

Hope that helps.

Cheers from sunny Africa

thunnus69

Thanks Jerri and Dave.  I score the inside of the slick butts and use a dremmel on gimbals as well. I haven't had one spin on me yet but see many factory rods with this problem.  I'm trying to avoid this and thought someone would have ribbed a slick butt by now.  Seems a simple solution.