Old, Weird, Historical, and Unusual Spinning Reels --

Started by foakes, August 26, 2017, 06:36:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

happyhooker

Alto Mare

Tommy, where were you a few years back ::). The Centaure is another reel that gave me a hard time.
They are nice, but trying to service one for the first time could be really tough.
Nice job as usual, you're bringing them out like fireworks...don't stop ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 08, 2018, 11:37:52 PM
Tommy, where were you a few years back ::). The Centaure is another reel that gave me a hard time.
They are nice, but trying to service one for the first time could be really tough.
Nice job as usual, you're bringing them out like fireworks...don't stop ;D

Thanks! I got the kitchen remodel done so I'm making up for some lost time before it warms up and I have replace a bunch of siding & paint the house.   ::)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

happyhooker

Tommy, did you have an article about the Flip Reel in a fishing publication not too long ago?

Frank

Midway Tommy

Quote from: happyhooker on March 12, 2018, 09:17:52 PM
Tommy, did you have an article about the Flip Reel in a fishing publication not too long ago?

Frank

Yep. In Dr. Todd Larson's Fishing For History Magazine. A great individual bringing back a (his) great tackle history magazine!

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

happyhooker

Quote from: Midway Tommy on March 12, 2018, 10:54:47 PM
Quote from: happyhooker on March 12, 2018, 09:17:52 PM

Frank

Yep. In Dr. Todd Larson's Fishing For History Magazine. A great individual bringing back a (his) great tackle history magazine!

Way to go--a published author among us!

Frank

Midway Tommy

Here's a cute and interesting little French reel from the 1930s, the Pecos. In 1937 Pecheur Ecossais applied for its patent, which was granted the following year. While the first models were in production the design was taken to Capano and Pons for improvement. Capano and Pons was a machine shop specializing in gear and small component manufacturing. Capano and Pons provided mechanical refinements to multiple reel companies during that time, including La Canne a Peche, AMR & Pecheur Ecossais. La Canne a Peche provided one of the early CAP reel designs. Capano and Pons eventually ended up manufacturing the CAP reels we know today, and those CAP reels eventually transformed into the Garcia Mitchell 304/305 and 314/315.

The Pecos has somewhat of a unique oscillation system. The round plate on the main gear fits inside the ring that is attached to the main shaft. That's what drives the main shaft in and out while the spool rotates, laying line uniformly onto the spool. The threaded bolt with a spring holds the handle, main gear and sideplate in place. The flanged ring is a dust cover that slips over the sideplate and is held in place by friction.

The hole in the bottom of the spool fits over the stud on the main shaft click gear. The black metal four pronged spring provides tension adjustment for the drag.

It is said that this little Pecos had some design influence on the later CAP and Mitchell round body reels. It weighs in at a whopping 5.57 oz. It's a neat little reel and feels like a feather in your hand. I don't think this reel has ever been put on a rod, which is amazing since it's right at 80 years old.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

happyhooker

Another nice contribution, Tommy.  All the Mitchell 304/314 fans, and other round body reel lovers, will enjoy this.

Frank

foakes

Ocean City manufactured 5 types of reels.

We all know about the conventional salt water reels.

They also made small fresh water baitcasters.

And fly reels.

Plus closed face spincasters.

Here are a couple of open face spinning reels.

Good reels manufactured in the USA in the early 50's.

They made 300, 310, 320, 350, etc..

Some were more rare than others — here on the left is a little 310 with a fixed roller line pickup — no bail.

Lots of history here — from a company with a good reputation for quality and engineering.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Give us a tour of the innards, Fred, so we can see what makes them tick.  :)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

foakes

Here are the guts, Tom —

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Thanks, Fred. Interesting design & concept. I've never had much interest in the OC spinners & their True Temper siblings so that's the first time I've seen how they were designed.   

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Gfish

They's lookin like they're built pretty tough. Didn't even know OC made spinners...

Thanks Fred & Tommy, et. al., Very interesting stuff.  I hope you got more commin...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

handi2

Now thats one ive never had my hands on.

Very nice Fred.

One day I will remember to send you that Penn 714. Or, was it a 716??

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

foakes

Thanks, Keith —

It was a greenie 714 I need for my personal arsenal.

Dave (jurelometer) sent me a 716.

If you would like these OC's — I will send them your way.

Let me know!

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.