2 Edward Vom Hofe 14/0 cradle reels with rods.

Started by 54bullseye, August 27, 2017, 12:31:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

54bullseye

There hasn't been any new cradle reels / rods posted lately so I figured I would share two of my favorites !

sdlehr

Wow John, very cool! I've recently become interested in Edward vom Hofe and have a few of his 621's. Ted Bingham's book on EVH reels shows the 742, which looks like the one on the left, and the one on the right looks more like the Commander Ross 732, but the book doesn't say it was available as a cradle reel. It looks like neither has a perforated drag star (pilot wheel lock), that puts them before 1930 I think....  Beautiful reels, were they restored after you got them or before? I can't believe they survived all those years to look like that unless they were kept in a museum in the dark.... are those Kovalovskys in the background? Dang, I want to see more of that collection!!!!
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

54bullseye

Part 2 of EVH Cradles.

There hasn't been any new cradle reels / rods posted lately so I figured I would share two of my favorites ! They are two Edward Vom Hofe 14/0 number 742 cradles reels with rods. In first picture to the left is a two piece cradle made from 1939 to I believe 1941. Then to the right is a one piece cradle made in 1937 and 38. I only have Vom Hofe catalogs for 37, 38, 39, and 40 so dates could be a little off. In second picture top is the two piece and bottom the one piece. The third picture shows why they are called one and two piece cradles ! The two piece on the left with just a front and back frame connected to side plates then the one piece to the right with the heavy solid piece down the middle and the posts running through the solid piece connecting to the side plates. My favorite is the two piece as it has the original rod that is in real nice shape. The one piece has an original rod that was retied as threads were all coming apart and a couple guides were taped on.
I will follow up with a couple more post with pictures. hope you enjoy them !!    John Taylor

PS I posted the first post by accident before I finished !

54bullseye

Part 3 EVH cradles

54bullseye

Part 4 last pictures

Notice the difference in the ferrules that go into cradles the one piece steps down and is just compression fit and the two piece ferrule is one size and has a knurled nut that holds it down. The last two pics are the two piece cradle and rod together out in my yard last winter !!!    Thanks John Taylor

54bullseye

Quote from: sdlehr on August 27, 2017, 12:54:26 AM
Wow John, very cool! I've recently become interested in Edward vom Hofe and have a few of his 621's. Ted Bingham's book on EVH reels shows the 742, which looks like the one on the left, and the one on the right looks more like the Commander Ross 732, but the book doesn't say it was available as a cradle reel. It looks like neither has a perforated drag star (pilot wheel lock), that puts them before 1930 I think....  Beautiful reels, were they restored after you got them or before? I can't believe they survived all those years to look like that unless they were kept in a museum in the dark.... are those Kovalovskys in the background? Dang, I want to see more of that collection!!!!
Sid: The catalogs say both are 742s. They were both in nice shape when I got them "a couple years part" but I did clean them but didn't take them apart. They say there are bearings in there with out cages  %*^%$%^&*&^% my luck they would be lost on my cellar floor !! My buddy "droppedit" also a member of this site re did the rod for the one piece cradle. The rod for the two piece just needed a little TLC on top guide which I did.  The reels in background are earlier Fin-Nor's. These are my only EVH reels !    John Taylor

oc1

You have nice things John.  Is that a hickory and a cherry (wood) rod?  Leather grips?
-steve

54bullseye

Steve
Both of these rods are Hickory but EVH made nice Bamboo rods for these cradles also. The grips on the 2 piece cradle are felt and they are hand stitched up the middle then I think glued on. I am not sure whats under them. The felt tape grip on the one piece cradles rod I don't know if that grip is original ? I bought that rod a while after the cradle because it was the proper # 397 rod with correct ferrule to fit one piece cradle. That grip could be wrong not sure.      John

Bill B

Incredible John...I bet the IGFA Museum would be jealous of your EVH cradles.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Swami805

Those are incredible.  Love the snow in the background.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Tightlines667

Beautiful combos there!

:o :o :o

I like the design of the 2 piece the best as well.  Are the rollers made by EVH as well?  Are the rod blanks and/or butts marked at all?

Thanks for sharing.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Tightlines667

Quote from: TARFU on August 27, 2017, 04:05:08 PM
Incredible John...I bet the IGFA Museum would be jealous of your EVH cradles.....Bill

I am pretty sure John contributed to their collection.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

54bullseye

Quote from: Tightlines666 on August 27, 2017, 06:14:25 PM
Beautiful combos there!

:o :o :o

I like the design of the 2 piece the best as well.  Are the rollers made by EVH as well?  Are the rod blanks and/or butts marked at all?

Thanks for sharing.

John

John
The roller on the 2 piece is a Vom Hofe roller bearing tip and is shown in the catalog. Also The 2 piece rod is marked 14 00 on ferrule and Vom Hofe is written on wooden rod.  I mis spoke when I said 1 peice rod was # 397 it is actually # 297 and marked so. That one has a Lee's tip on it. Please let me know if you can add to my description as I am not really up on EVH stuff these are all I have.  Thanks !!  John Taylor

54bullseye

Is there a limit on how many pictures you can post a day ?? I know it's 4 per post but I tried to attach 4 more pics with my last post and system won't let me ???    John Taylor

mo65

Quote from: 54bullseye on August 27, 2017, 07:43:26 PM
Is there a limit on how many pictures you can post a day ?? I know it's 4 per post but I tried to attach 4 more pics with my last post and system won't let me ???    John Taylor

The system is probably trying to recover from the previous photos...I know I sure am! Fantastic combos! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~