Reel Seat Repair

Started by Bill B, August 27, 2017, 12:41:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

A while back a traded for a Kencor Rod, but found the reel seats were split.  Not wanting to cut off the Kencor Blue foam grips, had a friend of mine (who just happened to get a new lathe and was looking for a project) make some reel seat hood clamps.  So I drew a set of plans for reel seat hoods that would clamp onto the existing reel seat barrel after I cut off the split hoods and a week later he delivered.

How many of your rods suffer from this?

My dimensions for this hood are:
ID= 1"
OD= 1 7/16"
OAL= 15/16"

I split the hood in half with a rotary tool, knowing I would loose some ID and counting on it to provide clamping pressure.

Drilled and counter sunk the screw holes (Next time I will probably use 2 each side) tapped one side with a #6 NC 32
tap, dug out some corresponding machine screws.  I had to turn the screw head down to fit the milled screw hole using a drill press and file.

Using a reel frame, scribed the profile of the foot and using the rotary tool carved out the material for the seat to fit in.  Leaving it a bit shallow for the new hood to clamp against.

Here's is what I ended up with...

Found it to be rock solid.  But lessons learned, I started off trying to use a blind hole for the threads but it didnt work out so I drilled all the way through.  Next time I will have the screw head on top and the open hole on the bottom.

Good thing I had him make me three hoods.

I realize without a lathe this would be impossible and having a machine shop do it would be expensive, but hey my friend needed a project  ;)....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

mhc

Great idea Bill, and nice work following it through. Carving out the recessed area for the reel foot would have taken a fair bit of time.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Benni3

Nice,,,,I think I got one that needs that,,,,, ;D

happyhooker

Absolutely ingenious.

Frank

Dominick

Hey Bill, outstanding job.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Gfish

Excellent! Tough and good lookin(like you Bill?). Seems like there could bea custom part market for somethin like this if it could be done in various sizes.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oc1

That's much nicer than the original Bill.  Reminds me of a high-end Varmac.
-steve

thorhammer

Bill that's fantastic work.  I bet I have a few magnaflex right now needing that bit.  Well done.

Bill B

Quote from: oc1 on August 27, 2017, 07:21:35 AM
That's much nicer than the original Bill.  -steve

Steve the Original Bill was working out of a 30' trailer and had limited tools, basically a dremel and small bench grinder....the Improved Bill  :D has a few more and a garage to work in.  Good to be home  ;D ;D

Thank you for the kind words...Gonna have to get a mini lathe have a couple more rods that needs this treatment  ;)  Bill

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

bhale1

"original Bill",.........LOL.....thats funny!
Seriously tho, great idea!
Brett

thorhammer

Bill, glad you got to get back to the family. I'll ring you next time I'm out by there.

sdlehr

Quote from: TARFU on August 27, 2017, 12:41:32 AM
But lessons learned, I started off trying to use a blind hole for the threads but it didnt work out so I drilled all the way through.  Next time I will have the screw head on top and the open hole on the bottom.
You could probably make this work if you went up one screw size....
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Tiddlerbasher

STRIPER LOU

Cor

Great repair.
Friend of mine once had a break on a reel seat and made a temporary fix by using a stainless steel hose clamp around the foot of the reel.   It worked so well he never made a permanent repair.   Just screwed it open or closed to replace a reel when needed. ;D
Cornelis