Reel Seat Repair

Started by Bill B, August 27, 2017, 12:41:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

Hey ! I "resemble' that last remark  :-[! I have a couple "beater" rods / reels that use the "hose clamp" method of restraint  ;D
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

steelfish

outstanding job Bill, really genious
The Baja Guy

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Caranx

Cuttyhunker

I know this is an older thread but I thought I'd share a no bucks fix that has worked for me over the years using nylon twine a lighter and some spar poly.  Nylon twine is important as it is a very elastic fiber, polyester (Dacron) is not.  A quick test if you don't know which you have is set the twine on fire, blow it out, an acrid smell is nylon, sweetish smell polyester.  Start with a clove hitch on the split reel seat then continue spiraling with hitches along the length of the split seat.  Take the time to pull each hitch as tight as you can, you'll feel the nylon stretch as each hitch binds up tight.  Finish with 1/4" to 1/2" tags on each end.  Light them on fire and smoosh them out with the metal part of the lighter when the flame reaches the wrap to lock the knots.  Finish with several coats of spar poly.  Cheap, quick and never had one fail.
Doomed from childhood

Gfish

Cool. "Spar Poly" is that the name I'd see in the hardware store?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Ron Jones

Quote from: Gfish on March 12, 2022, 08:59:13 PMCool. "Spar Poly" is that the name I'd see in the hardware store?
I'm used to using "Spar-Urethane," but it is all exterior grade polyurethane. I would chose an oil based, but with today's polymers it really doesn't matter.

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Cuttyhunker

Ron, I started with the oil, but tried the latex and it's fine, dries really fast so I can get multi coats on quickly and the brush lives in a stubby plastic water filled bottle alway ready to go. I use it on old dull blanks, guide wraps and wood handles too
Doomed from childhood

Ron Jones

Nice!
Love the wood handles.
Ronald Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"