Country Ham for the holidays

Started by mikeysm, August 27, 2017, 06:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeysm

Here are my country hams. They should be ready for the holidays. I started the back two in February.  The front two in June.  I have two more I started today. They will be cold smoked after they go through the aging process. And then they will be ready to eat.

Mike

bhale1

Mike,

I never knew there was that much time and planning that went into a ham😀... Bet they will be delicious, and looks like a pretty nice set up you have going there.

Brett

Tiddlerbasher

YUM if only I had the smoker - oh and the space, time, these are the continuing voyages - I think I'm drifting.
I'll just go and set foot where no hand has been behind before.
Still with me ;)  ???

mikeysm

I wasn't sure the curing chamber could handle the ageing process. It looks good so far. It's hard to control at 80 degrees and 60 percent humidity. So far so good it's close and that's a good thing. Here is a pic of my Salami last January.

Mike

David Hall

Nice work!  I've been dabbling in charcuterie for a few years, I've done some quick ham cures but this process you're using is the true old world way, only in a modern controlled environment, they used to salt excessively and cure in a salt box, a wooden shed with salt on the floor.  I'd like to see and hear more about the cure box setup your using, brines, etc.
Nice work. 

mikeysm

My coppa I make is top notch along with my panchetta. Soon I am going to try lardo. I don't need a cure chamber for that. I will use black vacuum sealed bags. All it needs to do is sit in the lower section of the fridge for 6 months or so. A substitute for butter is what you get but allot better tasting.

Mike

David Hall

Heck with fishing I want to come hang out with you!

mikeysm

All the years of trial and error before I could make a good product finally paid off. The sausage makers curing chamber makes it allot easier and you can cure meat all year long. Also a fridge that you use exclusively for your product. I even have a small freezer to store meat. Some recipes require the meat be frozen for a certain time before making the sausage or salami.

mikeysm

Here is a updated pic of one of my hams.

Mike

ChileRelleno

Very nice,
good looking hams and salami.

I've wanted to get started in Charcuterie but haven't the room for a curing chamber or another fridge.
Lots of folks with skills doing this, you obviously qualify.
I hang out at www.smokingmeatforums.com, some real avid Charcuterist over there.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

El Pescador

Chile!

I've been following this BBQ site for some time, check it out if you have time.

http://amazingribs.com/

Killer looking dinner for you and your family tonight!!!!!!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Dominick

Quote from: El Pescador on September 03, 2017, 01:52:17 AM
Chile!

I've been following this BBQ site for some time, check it out if you have time.

http://amazingribs.com/

Killer looking dinner for you and your family tonight!!!!!!

Wayne
Hey Wayne that is a good way not to put weight on.  Don't bbq, just read about.   :D ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Wow Mike, we don't even attempt curing prosciutto here in the Northeast Pa.
I've cured sausages and capicollo up to two years ago, can't have them in the house., if my wife is not home I don't stop slicing ;D.
We might have to trade a couple of those soppressata for a reel ;D
Very nice.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mikeysm

The country Hams are more versatile.  Procuitto takes much longer to age. I want my chamber for more salami. I can't make up my mind since I bought the cure chamber last January. To many things I like to eat. That's what I get for thinking through my stomach.