75500ss vs 8500SS Castability

Started by Rivverrat, August 27, 2017, 10:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

Am I right to assume the the 8500 cast noticeably better than the 7500 because of the bigger spool ? ...Jeff

Alto Mare

Personally, I don't believe so. I think the 850/8500 was introduced simply to holds more mono, compared to the 750/7500. Both are good reels, but since they both share the same parts, with the exemption of the rotor and spool, being more compact, the 750/ 7500 could be a little tougher.
I would think the wider the spool the more stress on the pinion, which would eventually cause the rotor to wobble a little, but I might be wrong.

The earlier models came with a stainless steel pinion, I don't get it why they dropped it.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rivverrat

Sal, I would also guess ultimate reliability might go to the 7500 based on simple leverage the bigger spool places on the reel. But my question was regarding castability.  Maybe I missunderstood your post? ....Jeff

Alto Mare

Oops, you are absolutely correct. Sorry Jeff, you were asking about castability.
This might be the case of 6 in one hand and half dozen in the other. I would think the line would peel a little better on a larger diameter spool, but at the same time a lighter reel might be more manageable.
I will now step aside and let someone else that really checks these details out answer you :)

Best Jeff,

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Newell Nut

It may come down to the rod configuration. The larger spool will have larger loops coming off and on the wrong guide set up it could be getting a lot of rod slap and slow the cast versus the smaller spool of the 750.

Rivverrat

Quote from: Newell Nut on August 28, 2017, 12:12:08 PM
It may come down to the rod configuration. The larger spool will have larger loops coming off and on the wrong guide set up it could be getting a lot of rod slap and slow the cast versus the smaller spool of the 750.

Prior to your post this was what I was thinking. After looking most spinning reels for distance seem to have spools that are tall & smaller diameter. While I've used spinning reels a lot in the past I'm just now begining to grasp the dynamics involved. ....Jeff

Swami805

One of the limiting factors is the line hitting the spool lip as it comes off. The closer to the spool lip the less fiction as it comes off the spool. I'd think a bigger diameter or deeper spool would help distance. The stripper guide on the rod would matter too since the line comes off cone shaped. I'd think the point of the cone in the center of the guide would be ideal.Likely there's some formula that would calculate where the stripper guide should be placed per diameter of the spool.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Bryan Young

If your striper guide (the guide closes to the reel) is high enough to eliminate the line slap, 8500SS should cast better in general environments.  If it's windy, the 7500SS should cast a little better due to the less wind resistance with smaller loops coming off the reel when casting.  I don't think the difference is significant enough though to make one a better caster than the other.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

thorhammer

8500 with a large  / high stripper, at least 50mm if not 65 / 70. I prefer a 65 / 50 / 30 / 20 / 20 plus 20mm tip on rods 11' or longer. Fuji used to make a 20 mm hardloy BPLT which was my favorite; no point in having massive stripper and choking it down through a 12 mm tip.

We also specially build the old honey Lamis with just two guides and tip: 75 mm wire stripper; 60 mm wire second guide plus a tip made from a 40 mm guide. these will launch, using 850ss, 9500ss or Mitchell 488.

Rivverrat

Quote from: thorhammer on August 29, 2017, 03:26:47 PM

We also specially build the old honey Lamis with just two guides and tip: 75 mm wire stripper; 60 mm wire second guide plus a tip made from a 40 mm guide. these will launch, using 850ss, 9500ss or Mitchell 488.

Got my curiosity going. How long were these lamiglass rods ? ....Jeff

thorhammer

My longest is 13' 8", one piece.