harnell colors

Started by thorhammer, August 28, 2017, 02:57:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Does anyone have pics of Harnell with burgundy wraps? Sheldon has a sweet batch of the yellow and red rods he did, but I though I recalled some big game rods with burgundy and some having diamond wraps.

Actually any Harnell pics would be cool. I have an Unlimited I'm restoring which had the red and yellow originally, but if I'm rewrapping anyway I may change it.

Sheldon, btw, the rendering from the GA on our label experiment was not crisp, so still trying to figure out what may be done.

Swami805

Never seen a burgundy factory Harnell but they might have done that. There's some old green and yellow ones with the old Harnell fish logo. Could be Harrington did burgundy. Try Harnell on goggle images and going thru old ebay listings might come up with something there. I always liked the red and yellow with the gold foil, just says  Harnell. Sherman
Do what you can with that you have where you are

thorhammer

Thanks for the tip! I did see some green and gold in the archives. I went to work on the blank and the white foregrip is stained to the point I can't bring it back, I think I would have to remove enough material that the Harnell deboss would be gone and I still may not get it in shape. Sort of cracked as well. I'm going to shrink over it. I think at this point I will have to take a bit of license in rewrap vs. restore, and I have the label you graciously sent. I think it will be a Harnell with a facelift, green and gold Gudebrod trimar from my remaining stock that will hold true to Harnell old-school color scheme. The originals used green tiger thread over the gold foil and I may work something like that in. It will keep the Mildrums; they are in great shape, and the Varmac detaches easily. This is a rod for a special reel...I bought the rod a dozen years ago and it's been waiting its turn patiently.

Shark Hunter

I can't wait to see it finished John.
I don't have a Harnell, but I want one.
Life is Good!

thorhammer

If I had two, you'd get the mate. You know what's going this one.

oc1

Funny thing about those marshmallow grips.  They grow some awful looking stains, but do not seem to crack with age.  I'd be tempted to go with the red and yellow just so others would recognize it as a harnell.
-steve

Swami805

The poodle grip cleans up pretty easy. Soak a couple paper towels with bleach and wrap them around the grips and let them sit over night. Repeat until bright white. I've done a few really stained ones and they it works really well. They won't melt or anything

thorhammer

This is really bothering me. I woke up this morning at 530 thinking I'll give another go on the grip to see if I can save it.  I'd prefer to if at all possible. 

thorhammer

Tried bleach trick, changing every day for a week. No good. I'm going in different direction on the rod; something I'd like to think Harnell might've done,' had they thought about it. I will incorporate design elements like two-tone thread, color spirals over gold bands, and keep the Mildrums. Two reference pics followed by what I'm doing on the guides.

John

droppedit

Bullseye had me try to restore an old Harnell. If I dig a little I can come up with the thread color numbers but the main variegated wrap was a silk thread. John was able to find a few 50yd spools and we used a size D for the green yellow and black. I tried using the rod dancer varnish. I hated it as it didn't keep the color clear, it gave it a brown tint. I made a decal to try and match the Harnell logo but I used gold and it wasn't an exact match. Anyways, here are the results and a comparison of the 2 rods.

Dave
Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

Swami805

That came out great, hard to tell which is the original and which is the rebuild. X2 on rod dancer,nothing but problems with their color preserver.

thorhammer

Wow.   That's some great work right there.

Shark Hunter

John,
I'm sure whatever you decide will be spectacular.
These old Harnell's deserve respect.
I am certain you will make us proud.
Life is Good!

thorhammer

First coat of epoxy is on.  Had to replace gimbal pin in ferrule. More on that later.

UKChris

Hi droppedit, I love those pictures of the Harnell rebuild in the 'right' colours. Which models are they? Royal V 80 or  VI 130? I'm guessing not the Royal VII Unlimited as that is a beast of a rod.

I could not get the original flecked green/yellow thread and so I've rebuild my two (the V and the VII) using dark green over the original light green underwrap. I didn't want to make too many changes and this is not too far off.

Also, rather than use a modern epoxy, I have used copal yacht varnish - I lost count at seven coats and possibly as many again on the wraps. Each was applied as thin as possible using my finger. I'm pleased as it retains that look of the old rods rather than the high-build gloss of are modern rods.

Love the pictures though and I do love the action of those Harnell rods.