harnell colors

Started by thorhammer, August 28, 2017, 02:57:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Chris, how about pics?  I think mine is the Unlimited as it has a massive Varmac 6 seat. I don't think the 130 I'm gonna spool is going to sweat it much.

John

droppedit

Quote from: UKChris on October 10, 2017, 08:33:40 PM
Which models are they? Royal V 80 or  VI 130? I'm guessing not the Royal VII Unlimited as that is a beast of a rod.

Also, rather than use a modern epoxy, I have used copal yacht varnish - I lost count at seven coats and possibly as many again on the wraps. Each was applied as thin as possible using my finger. I'm pleased as it retains that look of the old rods rather than the high-build gloss of are modern rods.

Love the pictures though and I do love the action of those Harnell rods.

Chris, It was a 130 with the heavy varmac seat. If you get a chance try to message 54bullseye These are his rods and he did the work to find the materials for me to work with. I've tried about 4 different types of varnish and the verdict is still out on which is the best. 54bullseye has a very impressive collection of Harnell's and he has a lot of knowledge about them.

thorhammer   I love the green Harnell fish! Nice job on the wraps.

Dave

Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

oc1

Dave, let us know if you figure out what a period-appropriate varnish would be.  The rod varnish companies like Weber were not talking about exactly what they were using and then the formulations slowly evolved over time..... still with nobody talking.  Then varnish was abandoned completely and replaced with polyurethane and then epoxy.  Getting back to the original may require the help of some sort of aged varnish manufacturing guru.
-steve

thorhammer

Quote from: droppedit on October 10, 2017, 09:22:24 PM
Quote from: UKChris on October 10, 2017, 08:33:40 PM
Which models are they? Royal V 80 or  VI 130? I'm guessing not the Royal VII Unlimited as that is a beast of a rod.

Also, rather than use a modern epoxy, I have used copal yacht varnish - I lost count at seven coats and possibly as many again on the wraps. Each was applied as thin as possible using my finger. I'm pleased as it retains that look of the old rods rather than the high-build gloss of are modern rods.

Love the pictures though and I do love the action of those Harnell rods.

Chris, It was a 130 with the heavy varmac seat. If you get a chance try to message 54bullseye These are his rods and he did the work to find the materials for me to work with. I've tried about 4 different types of varnish and the verdict is still out on which is the best. 54bullseye has a very impressive collection of Harnell's and he has a lot of knowledge about them.

thorhammer   I love the green Harnell fish! Nice job on the wraps.

Dave

Dave sad to say but the green spinner was only a file photo I was using for historical reference. My rod is the last pic with the Mildrum double roller wrapped with green and gold Trimar...I had wrapped all the guides before I saw your excellent or I would've done that scheme. In any case, I had to go a different route on the grip, so it's now a Thornell, or a Harhammer, or a Hornell,  or a John R. Nell or something....lol. My full name is John R. Hoyle

droppedit

John,

I thought the trimar looked great. Love those old mildrums ;)
Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

UKChris

Hi everyone. Sorry to have been quiet - work getting in the way - but indeed I must try to get organised about taking photos and learning how to post them, not just here but a couple of knife forums want to see some stuff too.

The VI and VII both had the huge Varmac RS6H whilst the V (80lb) had the slightly smaller RS5H - still a massive piece of chromed brass. I can bend my V 80lb quite a bit but the VII remains stubbornly straight no matter how much I grunt and groan!

thorhammer

This one doesn't like bending, whichever it was. I'm spooling with 130 and I don't know as it will fold it...