Shimano Calcutta 400 Challenge

Started by steelhead_killer, August 29, 2017, 12:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelhead_killer

Got a 400 in that has one of the screw threads stripped in the frame on the head plate side.  The screws are the thumb screws (2).  The guy mentioned that he as a temporary fix inserted a piece of mono into the hole as a means of holding the screw in.  The frame alone is over $140.00 so has anyone come up with a way of either rethreading it and using a different screw or, well I am open to suggestions.  Loktite?  Epoxy?  The screw will not engage at all in the tread. 

Thanks!

Andy
><)))">

Lunker Larry

I'm sure the experience on this site will address your problem but possibly something like this can come in handy. I used it to repair my brother in laws flat head harley when he rumbled in one day leaking oil. Headed out without an issue and never had it fail.
Loctite Thread Repair
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

handi2

I used a thin strip of aluminum from a soda can. The threads are so shallow and the screws are a bit short.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

steelhead_killer

Just a follow up to this challenge.  I ordered up some of the Loctite Stripped Thread Repair off Amazon and gave it a try.  It works great!  I used new screws and followed the instructions.  Let it sit for 15 minutes, unscrewed it and let it dry another 30 minutes and boom!  Good and tight, perfect fit.  Highly recommended!  Thanks for the idea!

Andy
><)))">