Portable Work Station Ideas

Started by xjchad, August 29, 2017, 01:43:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xjchad

Hi guys,
I'm pretty new here, but I've already learned a ton from you all and serviced many reels using all this great information!
I've started putting together a set of tools based on recommendations here and I'd like to get some ideas for it.
Have any of you put together a portable work station?
I'd like to be able to keep them with me for on the go.
I was thinking of maybe using one of the big hard brief cases that harbor freight sells.
What do you all think?
Husband, Father, Fisherman

David Hall

Several folks on here go on a number of offshore trips annually and carry portable service "center" with them.
Give it a little time for them to find your discussion here and they will jump right in.  Personally I do all my service on my garage workbench. This year it's been such a mess I can't get within 10 feet of it. 

Shark Hunter

If you like Penn reels. The first must have is The one and only Alan Tani Wrench.
Senators are easy to work on. I take only a few small tools with me.
Appropriate screwdrivers, Pin Punch, Alan Tani Wrench, small pick, small pair of pliers, 1/4" drive ratchet with socket for clamp nuts and small adjustable for the rod braces. And of course Loc tite, and Corrosion X.
I have to pack enough gear for Sharking, I try to keep it light.
If I can't fix a reel with these tools, I always have a back up reel. ;)
Life is Good!

mizmo67

Spare springs in case they go flying!

A good multi-tool.

A towel or mat you can roll up in the box to lay things out on so they won't roll away.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

thorhammer

I take a small plastic ammo-style box on any trip, which includes as above plus a tip repair kit and five minute epoxy. a little piece of braid will serve fine for a temp repair til you get home. You see penn blue on Daron's table. I also take the small penn kit that comes with a 1 oz penn blue and small squirt bottle of penn reel cleaner. If I'm in a high-spray situation all reels and rods get sprayed with freshwater and a  quick wipe with penn cleaner every night. I find that this box does pretty well if I end up pawn shopping due to weather on an extended trip  and find something to work on, on a picnic table.

box is appx 8"H x 10"L x 4"w.

Bryan Young

I take an extra tackle box.  All parts are in separate little ziplocks so even if the box goes tumbling, it's easy to organize again.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

SoCalAngler

I don't have a work area where I live at now so I must keep things on the smaller side. I use a small plastic tool box to hold most of my reel repair/maint stuff.

steelfish

Quote from: SoCalAngler on August 29, 2017, 05:46:53 PM
I don't have a work area where I live at now so I must keep things on the smaller side. I use a small plastic tool box to hold most of my reel repair/maint stuff.

thats pretty much my same Portable work station, I might actually took some pics later to post them, along with the plastic tool box I use a portable heavy duty plastic small table to work (like to ones to eat in front of your TV), when I finish the reel I always have to clean the area, clean the tools and put them on the toolbox and fold the table and move everything to my storage room.

PS: my tool box is a mess compared to yours
The Baja Guy

Bill B

Im with Byran....living in a 30' trailer for three years I had to keep things small and tidy...all the tools and lubes mentioned above fit in a Plano tackle box and stored easily...for tear downs I use a kids school pencil box with the lid for big parts and the bottom for small parts..It also fit insidethe tackle box when not in use..Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

alantani

i couldn't possibly do portable......  ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

swill88

Quote from: alantani on August 30, 2017, 02:45:31 AM
i couldn't possibly do portable......  ;D

don't you? on the long range trips? ???

alantani

not any more.  those days are done forever!    ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

swill88

Gfish

Quote from: thorhammer on August 29, 2017, 02:18:15 PM
I take a small plastic ammo-style box on any trip, which includes as above plus a tip repair kit and five minute epoxy. a little piece of braid will serve fine for a temp repair til you get home. You see penn blue on Daron's table. I also take the small penn kit that comes with a 1 oz penn blue and small squirt bottle of penn reel cleaner. If I'm in a high-spray situation all reels and rods get sprayed with freshwater and a  quick wipe with penn cleaner every night. I find that this box does pretty well if I end up pawn shopping due to weather on an extended trip  and find something to work on, on a picnic table.

box is appx 8"H x 10"L x 4"w.

Great idea, rod repair as well as reels. Some hot glue(the kind that fits into a hot glue gun) might work better for tips, in case you gotta remove the tip latter(just heat it with a match for installation and removal).
Gfish
latter
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

My approach is a little different, maybe --

Just a canvas tool roll with a few screwdrivers, reel wrenches, crescent wrench, small ignition channel locks, needle nose, swiss army knife, small spray bottle with simple green, micro oiler, tsi321, Yamalube Marine in a small grease gun, saltx, Cal's, WD40 for cleaning, couple of shop rags, flashlight, extra pair of reading glasses, assortment of common drag washers -- that's it.

Plus, I always have back up reels -- when I'm fishing, I don't like to work on reels -- that can be done at home.

The kit is just for basics, or to help out others.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.