Portable Work Station Ideas

Started by xjchad, August 29, 2017, 01:43:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xjchad

Lots of great ideas!
Thank you all!
I'm going through all the tool posts and making a list of the necessities so I can be well prepared.  :)
Husband, Father, Fisherman

thorhammer

Key point. I assumed you wanted a travel kit but in fact you may be looking a lot to roll out in a garage Space or wherever. That changes things. 

xjchad

Quote from: thorhammer on August 30, 2017, 05:42:29 PM
Key point. I assumed you wanted a travel kit but in fact you may be looking a lot to roll out in a garage Space or wherever. That changes things. 

Not necessarily a travel kit.
More of a condensed kit that can do MOST service/repairs that is portable. 
I don't have room for a permanent work station at home so I'd like to put together one that will hold most tools and some parts that I can use many places.  I want to be able to open it up in the living room after the kids are in bed or on my lunch break at work.  Does that make sense?

swill88

Quote from: xjchad on August 30, 2017, 06:06:22 PM
Not necessarily a travel kit.
More of a condensed kit that can do MOST service/repairs that is portable. 
I don't have room for a permanent work station at home so I'd like to put together one that will hold most tools and some parts that I can use many places.  I want to be able to open it up in the living room after the kids are in bed or on my lunch break at work.  Does that make sense?

Makes sense... just don't too involved and forget to go to sleep or forget to go back to work. It happens ;)

steve

thorhammer

yep perfect sense, that's why I asked. depends how dirty you want to get in the house. I keep a small caddy for the "tv dinner table" with screwdriver, AT wrench, Penn blue, corrosion X, ALLEN set, crescent and needle nose pliers. its about 8" x 8" and lets me assemble about any Penn I have cleaned parts for in the shop while hanging in  the living room.

steelfish

Quote from: xjchad
I want to be able to open it up in the living room after the kids are in bed ,  Does that make sense?

That's me.
My hobby job shift starts at 9pm to.. err.. ehem.. hmm around 12 or 1am, bit from time to time I find myself awake at 4am and go to bed just because I have to be awake at 6am everyday
The Baja Guy

xjchad

Well I picked up an aluminum case a HF yesterday with my 20% off coupon.
I'll start putting it together today and report on how it works out.  ;D

xjchad

Here's a few pics of the HF tool case.

I plan on mounting an 18" tool magnet behind the upper insert piece like this:

Only starting to get it sorted out, but I think it will work great and give me a small work space in the bottom when it's open so I can work on reels with it sitting on my lap if needed.  I just need to make prop rod to hold it open.

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Rancanfish

I have one of those too. Brand new from years ago.  I was going to use it for work, but settled on the open top tool box with a strap.

I only mention because I thought of offering it up here when I saw this thread.

Weird that you found one anyway.

I think it will work great for you.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Bill B

Thats turning out to be a real winner......looking forward to the end product....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

thorhammer

I have that same case full of my Cortez Jigmasters :)

Keep us posted.

Gfish

Man, if you can keep it that small, more power to ya! Sure do miss Harbor Freight. I'll put it on my "mainland  visit list"
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!