Custom Rod & Reel

Started by sdlehr, August 29, 2017, 11:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

This afternoon I was replacing a guide on a friend's surf rod and ran out of black thread. I used the opportunity to visit and introduce myself to Tom Greene at Custom Rod and Reel in Lighthouse Point, FL. Tom is a Lifetime ORCA member and since I just became ORCA librarian I thought we should meet. He's a pretty unique guy. I took a few photos of the sales floor of his shop and will post below. We sat in his office and talked for maybe 30 minutes, and he showed me some of his incredible collection. His website is www.antiquereels.com if you haven't seen it.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

sdlehr

He also showed me this Penn 704 with a factory manual pickup. I hadn't ever seen (or heard of) one before.
Sid Lehr

Bill B

Wow....I could get lost in all that gear.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

sdlehr

That was about 5% of what was in there.... not to mention his personal collection. He told me he's been in the business since the age of 11 in 1959 and hasn't ever had another job.
Sid Lehr

The Great Maudu

I would have thought I died and went to heaven if I walked in there. Where is it?

RowdyW

Lighthouse Point, FL. Just east of Federal Hwy. 1

conchydong

I remember when it was called Custom Rod and Gun. Tom has gotten out of the firearms sales and it is just fishing stuff now. For those not familiar, Lighthouse Point is just north of Pompano Beach.    It is a great shop. I have seen Mark Sosin hanging out there on more than one occasion.

Scott

Edit: I was just looking at some of the reels and this one is the Cat's Azz. It's a high speed, narrow, lever drag, Sailfish reel

Number 178
Gar Wood Jr. Enterprises

Miami

thorhammer