hope this is the right place for my first post to say hello

Started by joesan, August 30, 2017, 10:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Hall

Say what?  You took this apart in the 60's and you still have all the parts!  You sir are a special kind of individual!

Tiddlerbasher

Donnyboat

welcome Joesan, well done fred, you are great help always, cheers Don, from Western Australia.
Don, or donnyboat

joesan

First of all, I am overwhelmed with the members here and their support...the pressure is on and I better get this done.
Fred, every time I see your bench setup I am so envious. Thanks for the diagrams and parts list.
I decided to see if there were any missing parts and determine if I could identify every part I have.

Looking at the washers and shims I have, I believe I have identified them correctly, but would like to have it confirmed by you members.  I'll attach a picture of them with the corresponding part numbers. Please let me know if I have any wrong.

Also, the info on cleaning solvents and lubs was great. On guns I use simple green for cleaning/degreasing and Break Free for lubing except for a few exceptions where I use ProGold Lube. I have an old tube of Penn. I was actually surprised that the lube (Penn) on the old reel had not hardened and had the appearance of new lube.
I'll take your advice and use the cleaners/lubs you recommend and cleaning methods as well. I really want it to look nice.

Again, thanks
joesan
"The More Laws, The Less Justice"   Cicero

foakes

That looks correct, Joe --

You will likely also need shims 81047 & 81035.

They could be still on the body gear axles, on the bottom of a gear, or lost -- they are small and love to play in the grease.

If you have them -- use them.

Might work OK without the shims.

If you need some -- just let me know.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

joesan

Fred, I don't find either of those shims. Is there an easy way to test if a shim is needed? Can you feel the play if it is required, or is there a way to measure?

foakes

Generally, there will be a grinding feel when the gears do not exactly mesh.

Best thing to do is PM me your name and mailing address -- so I can get these off to you tomorrow.

On your first one -- you need all of the pieces to see how it should work.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

joesan

Thanks Fred, I sent you my address.

I'm in the final stages of cleaning, and everything looks good except there is pitting on the bail surface, but since this is not under constant friction (the line guide looks good), I don't see any problem with that.

Wifey is asking if I intend to work on this while the grandkids are here over the Holiday weekend, so I may not get back to you until next week.

Have a great weekend and "tight lines".

Joe

happyhooker

Welcome, joesan, from another retired guy.

You'll find a lot of fans of the Mitchell 300 out there, as well as similar reels like the 300A, 300C, 400, etc.

The shims are definitely tricky, often because they are lost due to being so small.  If you are short of a shim under the main gear, you may hear a scraping noise as the gear rubs on the cover while you are reeling.

Looks like your 300 is an older model, judging by your info and the shape of the anti-reverse knob.  That being the case, you may also find that the anti-reverse dog inside the body is a little different than the one depicted in the schematic Fred sent you.  I believe the older dogs are metal and the spring on them is different as well; the spring on these, if I recall right, gets re-installed in a way where both ends face toward the bottom of the body; when I first saw this, it didn't look right to me, but some checking around led me to think it was right even though it didn't look so.  There are other folks on this site who have surely disassembled many more of these reels than I have, and probably know with more certainty than I how these A/Rs differ.  Of course, you've maybe figured this out already.

Frank

joesan

OK, It is done...almost
I'm waiting for Fred's shims to complete the job, and I haven't lubed it yet, just like to do a dry run and assemble the reel first, before I lube. I do the same with guns, except for lever actions which are hard enough the first time.
Yes, you members who said it would be no problem once I got into it were correct, however I still managed to put the baffle in upside down in my first attempt.

Here are a few pics

joesan

other pics, and the last one is where we started

Hey, I've got some fly reels that need a good going over!

foakes

--------

Fred O.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

--------

Fred O.

joesan

Let me know if you need any advice Alan! LOL

What a great site and Fred is awesome!