hope this is the right place for my first post to say hello

Started by joesan, August 30, 2017, 10:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

happyhooker

Tommy is right on about how to test the bail as to whether it is lined up or not.  You might be surprised how little being off will affect the bail closing action.  Yeah, 1/4 inch would have a chance of affecting it.  I can recall a couple of these types of reels where having to bend the bail back as small a distance as that cured bail snap-back issues.

Bill B

I'm kind of late to his party....Joe congrats on getting the 300 back in running shape....I still get nervous taking my 300's apart for cleaning.  If you can do  a 300 and a penn Long Beach you have 90% of the learning  curve beat....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

joesan

Bill, I was just the robot. The "reel" credit goes to Fred and Tommy.
My next challenge is my old Shakespeare 2110.
I tore it down and smugly thought I would be able to find a schematic or at least some similar model, but lo and behold I can't find either and my memory of the tear down isn't that sharp. I'm sure that once I've put things on wrong a few times I'll finally get it.

This is a SUPERsite!
"The More Laws, The Less Justice"   Cicero

Midway Tommy

Quote from: joesan on September 18, 2017, 05:09:24 AM
Bill, I was just the robot. The "reel" credit goes to Fred and Tommy.
My next challenge is my old Shakespeare 2110.
I tore it down and smugly thought I would be able to find a schematic or at least some similar model, but lo and behold I can't find either and my memory of the tear down isn't that sharp. I'm sure that once I've put things on wrong a few times I'll finally get it.

This is a SUPERsite!

Don't fret, they're all pretty much basically the same. If you got it apart you'll get it back together. Next time, though, grab your digital camera or phone and take strategic pictures as you are breaking it down. That way you can easily check back at reassembly. Photos are actually better than a schematic unless to think a part may be missing.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

joesan

Tommy, Great minds think alike...my wife suggested that to me AFTER I had disassembled it!

joesan

Fred,
Got the bail spring and shims.
Thanks so much for the 2nd effort.

I will now proceed to reassemble the 300 with the proper shims.

Joe

joesan

OK, finally done with the Garcia Mitchell 300. It is smooth as silk!

Thanks for all who lent their knowledge and advice to get this reel repaired and re-assembled.
Special thanks to Fred and Tommy for their super knowledge of this reel. Fred for the trips to the post office to send me parts, and everyone else who gave me encouragement.

The only thing I might still do is replace the bail. It is smooth to the touch (0000 steel wool), but looks pretty pitted. I put this down to lack of proper care and maintenance on my part when I was a kid. It won't happen again.

Joe

Midway Tommy

Looks great, now go fish it!  :) That's what they were made for. ;)  As far as the bail, don't feel too bad about the pitting. It happened regularly on those older Mitchells, and Italian & Japanese made reels. It has a lot to do with the quality of the plating process. Be patient, you should be able to find a good quality replacement on the 'Bay if Fred doesn't have one.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

With everything so nice on that 300, Joe -- and the sentimental value -- you do need a new bail, IMO.

It will be on the way this afternoon or tomorrow morning.

Likely will not be able to get down the mountain to the PO until tomorrow -- got a full day already underway -- just planned out October this morning.  Pretty full month before Winter -- a full page of projects -- but have 3 short fishing trips tentatively penciled in for the High Country.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

joesan

foakes

Really haven't had a reason to use those particular items, Joe?

Use other things instead.

I do understand they work well, and others on here will have had experience with them they will share.

Fly fishing is always good up here -- but I don't do it.  Just trout fishing to easy or remote areas, spinfishing, ultralight spinners, and some trolling if I feel like it.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

festus

Welcome Joe, l realize l'm a little late in posting to this thread.

l see you got broken in by Fred and some of the other fine members.  So did l.  You're definitely in the right place.

Your Mitchell 300 looks brand new.  The last few weeks l've had my hands full tinkering with those, l bought a whole box of them plus some other reels on the cheap at a yard sale a few weeks ago.

happyhooker

Festus, you've got your hands full--I'm seein' a nice bunch of Mitchell 300-types and at least 2 Dam Quicks in that yard sale box you got.

Frank

joesan

Wife and I were on a trip to WY, CO, and UT. Fished the Madison for a few hours and caught a couple of 'bows with hopper and copper john dropper. Only had fly tackle with me. My next outing will be using the Mitchell Tommy.

Got caught in a snowstorm on Oct 1 in Steamboat Springs! They got 20 inches on the ski slopes.

Finally got back to find your new bail waiting for me in the mail Fred.
Thanks again, you are a super guy.

Now to complete my Shakespeare project. Pictures will follow when it is done.

Also have an old Minn Kota 65 (circa 1980) trolling motor that hasn't been used in about 25 years. That will be my next project,even though I don't have a boat to use it on.

joesan

Mitchell 300 with new bail and with both old and new.