alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial How Many Rods and Reels Do We Have?
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
October 16, 2017, 08:09:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Many Rods and Reels Do We Have?  (Read 1812 times)
Shark Hunter, handi2, tholmes, Mumin and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.
joesan
Firearms Group

Life is Good

« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2017, 09:06:37 PM »

Bill, you sneaky devil.....now how did that go again? Give em away and buy new ones! Sounds good to me!

"The More Laws, The Less Justice"   Cicero
ez2cdave
Sensei

« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2017, 08:45:21 AM »

Bill, you sneaky devil.....now how did that go again? Give em away and buy new ones! Sounds good to me!

Yeah . . . and, if the Wife catches you, you just say you did it "to help kids" . . . How can she respond negatively to that ?

Tight Lines !
thorhammer

"You can't drank all day if you don't start..."

« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2017, 04:38:35 AM »

Well, I'm two rods/reels short now.  A co-worker wanted to take his grandson fishing, which got me thinking.  I had two matching Zebco 202's and rods that were collecting dust.  Now both of them are practicing their casting in the backyard with plans to visit a nearby lake.   So now I have an excuse to tell the wife, I need two new rigs  Wink to replace the ones that were gifted....Bill

nothing wrong with trading up!
tholmes

« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2017, 07:38:08 AM »

My wife isn't reading this board, is she? Grin
A quick mental tally - 22 Abu baitcasters, 11 other baitcasters, 10 spinning reels and around 20 spincasters.I'm sure that I'm forgetting a few.

Lures? I don't even want to go there.

Tom
Bryan Young
Ultimate Upgrades Drags
Administrator

The Reel Whisperer

« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2017, 07:57:54 AM »

I don't know what is the limit.  I just got 3 more rods and 6 more reels...granted, many of those reels will be donated to kids.

Cheesy I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. Cheesy
alantani
admin
Administrator

« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2017, 08:41:58 AM »

i just found another "crate" of old reels in storage.   Grin

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!
Bryan Young
Ultimate Upgrades Drags
Administrator

The Reel Whisperer

« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2017, 09:07:03 AM »

I've been working on them one by one, fixing them as I go along...hopefully someone can use them when I'm done.

Alan, if you want me to pick them up, let me know...after you go through the crate first, of course.

Cheesy I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. Cheesy
Decker

One fish, two fish, red fish, bluefish.

« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2017, 10:03:42 AM »

It would make sense to define orders of magnitude for this subject.   I have about 30 reels and 20 rods, but, for me, that is a ridiculously high number, considering the number of days I fish, etc.   Some factors that increase the number of rods one can practically own:
  • Live near the coast (or lake, river, etc. where the fishing is done)
  • Have x number of immediate family that fish
  • Freshwater or saltwater or both (more rods for salt, I think)
  • Own one or more boats (need to equip it for various methods and species and accommodate clients & guests)
  • Fish for a living (if you can pay for it, you should have it)
  • Have a historical interest in fishing tackle
  • Can't pass up a bargain or are addicted to eBay

Based on these factors, one could calculate an individual's expected rod/reel quantity range.  Maybe someone can come up with a formula Wink
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 10:05:06 AM by Decker » Logged
Crow

Dauphin Island Sunset

« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2017, 10:25:02 AM »

I'm pretty sure my MAIN problem is "OCD", AND the fact I'm really lazy ! For example.....I have a whole row of electric drills (all rummage sale finds, for a $1, or $2 ) each with a different sized bit ! And, yes, before you ask, I DO have the chuck keys..it's just "handier" to have the drill "already loaded". So, when I walk across the street ....that's where my local river flows.....I carry three rods with me...one with a small crank bait, one with a twister tail, and one with an inline spinner (that's the way they are 'loaded" this time of year, anyway)....a few casts with one, then change off...and no knots to retie ...and yes, before you ask, I CAN tie knots! ! So...being "too lazy" to tie knots, means I *need* a bunch of rods !
   When my wife asks me why I need all those rods ( or tools, or iris plants, or whatever !), I tell her I don't *need* them, but, I *want* them, just like she *wants* her ceramic chickens...or whatever the heck it is she collects !

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !
Midway Tommy
Tom

Smack dab in the middle of USA - Eastern Nebraska

« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2017, 11:00:06 AM »

i just found another "crate" of old reels in storage.   Grin

If they're spinners send them to the central US this time.  Smiley ......Only kidding, of course.  Grin
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 12:09:03 PM by Midway Tommy » Logged

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)
Midway Tommy
Tom

Smack dab in the middle of USA - Eastern Nebraska

« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2017, 11:03:57 AM »

It would make sense to define orders of magnitude for this subject.   I have about 30 reels and 20 rods, but, for me, that is a ridiculously high number, considering the number of days I fish, etc.   Some factors that increase the number of rods one can practically own:
  • Live near the coast (or lake, river, etc. where the fishing is done)
  • Have x number of immediate family that fish
  • Freshwater or saltwater or both (more rods for salt, I think)
  • Own one or more boats (need to equip it for various methods and species and accommodate clients & guests)
  • Fish for a living (if you can pay for it, you should have it)
  • Have a historical interest in fishing tackle
  • Can't pass up a bargain or are addicted to eBay

Based on these factors, one could calculate an individual's expected rod/reel quantity range.  Maybe someone can come up with a formula Wink

In all factors....... A LOT!  Wink

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)
joesan
Firearms Group

Life is Good

« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2017, 09:21:42 AM »

I have 2 bait-casting rods and reels. Only thing the 8 year olds can handle (need the index finger grip on the rod) and the only thing my 15 year old granddaughter is willing to use because it has a button!

6 fly rods and 8 reels from 3wt to 8wt

4 spinning rods and 4 reels (two that didn't work before I found alantani.com)(My son gave me most of this gear he had sitting in his garage)

Have I mentioned before how much I love this site?

I'm off to watch the US Air Force Thunderbirds perform.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 09:26:02 AM by joesan » Logged

"The More Laws, The Less Justice"   Cicero
FatTuna

« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2017, 12:21:46 PM »

At one point I had well over hundred reels. I went through a phase where I wanted to inspect everything. Then I realized that only a fraction were getting fished. It's like owning clothes. You fill an entire wardrobe but most people only wear 20% of what's in there.

Now, I no longer want stuff lying around. I don't want the maintenance of things that aren't being used. All the money I had locked up in them is now being used for new projects. At this point, I feel my collection is more or less complete.

I still may choose to buy a reel here or there if it's something special. Looking to sell a few of my lower end reels and swap them with nicer ones.

My new rule is that I have to sell one of the old ones in order to buy a new one.
Mjg378

« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2017, 04:14:10 PM »

Yep. Iíve  sold, given away to friends and also family. To now where itís down by more than half to about 30 reels and maybe 20 rods.   I Still have my first zebco 202 from the mid 60s. (That I canít part with)and a few of the reels my Pop gave me that started this collection many  years ago .  Iím definitely in need of ongoing therapy as I canít help myself when I see a shiny reel!  But my wife is happier that I donít have 1/2 dozen rods/reels in the bedroom anymore.(along with all the rest in the closet, garage, storage room.   Sheís always tolerated my habit as she says she would rather me have a reel habit then  a girlfriend habit😁.  Now I just added a international 16s.  Sure Is shiny!!
Mike Grosman
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 04:15:55 PM by Mjg378 » Logged
festus

« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2017, 04:29:22 PM »

About 50 rods, almost that many or maybe more reels.  Probably have more spinning outfits than baitcaster.  Also have 7 or 8 spincasters, all Zebco as far back as 1966, from the tiny microlight 20/10 to the salt water 888.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: