Hand Wrapping Jig Made Out Of Crutches And A Cutting Board

Started by The Fishing Hobby, September 03, 2017, 01:56:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Fishing Hobby

Hey guys, not reinventing the wheel here or anything but I built a nice hand wrapping jig for building fishing rods out of an old set of crutches and a plastic cutting board that turned out really nice so I thought I would share it in case it might give someone else some ideas. Here is the YouTube link for the video I posted about it:
Tight lines!

Alto Mare

You're very talented, Fishing Hobby, I also like the way you made the plastic pieces to make it work.
Good job!
Could you show the completed rod?

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 03, 2017, 02:33:02 AM
You're very talented, Fishing Hobby, I also like the way you made the plastic pieces to make it work.
Good job!
Could you show the completed rod?

Sal

Thanks! I wasn't actually building a rod at this point. That is an old fiberglass rod that I had taken back down to a bare blank a while back and will eventually build a rod out of. I was just using it to test the wrapper out at the moment.

Alto Mare

Oh, got it! I'm sure it will do a nice job when put to work.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 03, 2017, 02:45:18 AM
Oh, got it! I'm sure it will do a nice job when put to work.

Sal
This will work much better than the one I used to use, I can tell that already! The biggest problems with the old one I made was a lack of adjustability and the spool tensioner. There are inconsistencies in the thread spools that make them a little grabby in spots. By tensioning the thread it takes that out of the equation making the thread delivery much smoother and spool changes much quicker. I built some nice rods (for an amateur) on the old jig but it wasn't nearly as easy to use.

Tiddlerbasher

Donnyboat

FH thanks for showing, we are learning all the time, good value, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Bill B

Very well thought out....I like the layout and the spring you used to grab the thread when not in use....Thank you for sharing...Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

sdlehr

Hey Kevin, I had seen what you posted on the ORCA site first.... well done! One suggestion; on the supports where you attach the elastic to keep the rod down, you could notch on each side a little "V" so that the elastic has something to grab and keep it in place.... maybe they're there and I can't see them. Impressive work!

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: sdlehr on September 03, 2017, 06:13:13 PM
Hey Kevin, I had seen what you posted on the ORCA site first.... well done! One suggestion; on the supports where you attach the elastic to keep the rod down, you could notch on each side a little "V" so that the elastic has something to grab and keep it in place.... maybe they're there and I can't see them. Impressive work!

Sid
I thought about that as I was making it. I couldn't figure out if I should do that or not! The way it is now, I can adjust the tension on the blank just by moving it up and down as needed. That HDPE is so slick I initially thought the bands would slide around but they haven't so far. I suppose I could put multiple notches like maybe 3 on each side which would give you 9 different adjustment possibilities. Will definitely continue thinking on that one though, great suggestion!

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: TARFU on September 03, 2017, 05:19:59 PM
Very well thought out....I like the layout and the spring you used to grab the thread when not in use....Thank you for sharing...Bill
I like that feature as well, unfortunately I can't claim the credit for the idea. I got that idea from the old Sully hand wrappers. I never saw one in person but I ran across a video of one in use on YouTube. It is a simple and brilliant idea!

Midway Tommy

Quote from: The Fishing Hobby on September 03, 2017, 07:11:36 PM

Sid
I thought about that as I was making it. I couldn't figure out if I should do that or not! The way it is now, I can adjust the tension on the blank just by moving it up and down as needed. That HDPE is so slick I initially thought the bands would slide around but they haven't so far. I suppose I could put multiple notches like maybe 3 on each side which would give you 9 different adjustment possibilities. Will definitely continue thinking on that one though, great suggestion!

You could add a little eye bolt on one side and insert the rubber band into the loop so it is semi-permanently attached and add your notches to the other side. Then you can just flip the band back over and it will always stay with the unit.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: Midway Tommy on September 04, 2017, 03:15:19 AM
Quote from: The Fishing Hobby on September 03, 2017, 07:11:36 PM

Sid

You could add a little eye bolt on one side and insert the rubber band into the loop so it is semi-permanently attached and add your notches to the other side. Then you can just flip the band back over and it will always stay with the unit.   
I think we have a winner, thanks for that one Tommy! I think instead of notches I will use short little studs sticking out. I really like the idea of having the band attached so it won't get lost or shot across the room. Docski377 has been kind enough to give me some advice on better thread tensioning. He pointed out that the sewing machine tensioner can damage metallic threads. That was something I hadn't thought about! I really appreciate the input. It really sets down the thread smoothly and I love the adjustability of the blank supports on the rails. I think with y'alls advice and Docski's help I will really have a winner here.
Thanks again everyone!

oc1