Hotrodding planned on another YT 545

Started by gstours, September 03, 2017, 03:39:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Here is some of the basics that are in the works for another reel mod.  The solid frame w endplate is rocksolid.  The narrow spool is good for my jig style. The Stainless Bridge with the Dogs on the bridge are new to me,  and a gift from Sal, (thanks pal)  ;D Ive not tried them yet on any of my reels. ???

I am planning on using a steel gear as well (tanks Sal) so it should be quite strong.

The drag kit will be an insert from Motive Fab .   Its coming soon,  so stay posted. 
  I generally do my own milling of the endplates for the dogs n springs, butt its goinna be an easy way to go now that the drag kits and bridges are available to the consumer....
   This is only made possible by the work done on this forum, and sharing ideas, and criticism,   We all can benefit one way or another.
         Many Tanks to All.   :)   

Maxed Out

Pretty sure that yoke in the picture won't work in this reel.

You'll need to get a "punched out" jigmaster yoke from Bryan for this reel

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Alto Mare

Quote from: Maxed Out on September 03, 2017, 04:29:51 PM

Pretty sure that yoke in the picture won't work in this reel.

You'll need to get a "punched out" jigmaster yoke from Bryan for this reel

Ted
Yup! I thought Gary was Custmizing a 113h.

I'm glad the stuff made it up to you Gary, let us know how those performs while bringing up the big ones.
Enjoy it!😉

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Swami805

Pretty sure the reel in the picture is a 454. Thinking those parts should work
Do what you can with that you have where you are

vilters

I installed the same bridge, sleeve, stainless gears on my 545, don't remember what yoke/jack I used. it works fine, and is a very powerful reel in a small package. I seem to remember a post on making the engagement of freespool smoother, as it slightly sticks about halfway through the levers travel. my 255 pg is the same too. anything I should look for/smooth out?

Maxed Out

Quote from: Swami805 on September 03, 2017, 06:30:17 PM
Pretty sure the reel in the picture is a 454. Thinking those parts should work

Good eye Sheridan, it sure is a 454 headpate in the picture. My bad, I was going off the thread title.(545)

All the parts Sal sent(in pics)will drop right in a 454 with zero modifications.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Swami805

I got a 545 frame and spool on the cheap and put it together with parts I had laying around and one of Bryan's yokes. I had a heck of a time getting it to shift smoothly. I tried all the tips on here then I just started trying different jacks until one just seemed to fit better than the others and it's like butter now. Wish I could tell you the solution, no idea what was different, they all look pretty much the same. If you have a few eccentric jacks maybe give it a try.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

gstours

Yes and thanks for the correction.  Its a 454 Progear,  I,m kinda new with these butt,  maybee it was a typo?    My mistake.
   I did get the endplate milled for the second dog.  and fitted a leaf spring butt;   ???  Now photobucket wont work for my loading to view.
      So more later :)

Rancanfish

Gary, I'm confused.  Are you doing the second dog yourself, hence the milling?  Or using the double dog bridge from Alan C.?  The dd bridge just drops right in.

Randy
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

gstours

Here is a picture of the endplate milled for the dog and spring slot.

A 4 fluted end mill X 1/4inch was used to cut the flat bottom for the dog.

a 1/16 4 fluted end mill bit was used for the spring slot.

These stainless dogs were another gift from Sal.   Tanks Pal!  One is modified to fit for clearance .

After checking and adjusting the spring it was fitted and seemed to be ok.

the mock up assembly was tried..

Everything looks good so far.   Cant wait to put in the drag package.

The millling is quite easy after you make a jig for holding the plate.  I use a crossfeed vise on a good drillpress.    Grinding the dog is via a 48 inch beltgrinder.   I would do some of these for folks out there as a service for a small fee.  If interested in this send me a pm.  
   Double dogs are good foor a reel that is expected to do some severe service in my opinion.

gstours

Randy! ;)    It was a chance to show off the new stainless bridge with dogs I received as a gift from Sal after fishing your old reel this summer.  I can see no advantage using this in an alum framed reel,  hence this post.   Butt in a plastic sideplate I do think the sst dogs in the bridge is better and stronger.   
   Just a personal thing.   I do like both types and one must remember this was only made possible by people trying to improve things on a reel.   Its a good thing for the fisherman comsumer.   Like buying sliced bread, when you dont have a kitched nor an oven.
   Thanks to all contributors on this site. :-*   Alan you had a great Idea! :o

Rancanfish

Ahh, ok got it.

Being tool-less as far as needed for that work, I may have to take you up on doing a sideplate for me someday. (Maybe my two 600H also). 

I'm down sizing and going to stick to the reels I'm going to use. 

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Alto Mare

Hey Gary that's some nice milling you did on that plate, very nice job👍.
I got your package today and I thank you very much, but I don't remember asking for anything 🙄.
Thank you buddy, it's very much appreciated.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D