Hotrodding planned on another YT 545

Started by gstours, September 03, 2017, 03:39:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Gary, I got so amused on your milling on that plate that I forgot to mention the spring. I like what you've done there very much and I could see it would work much better than the way I've been doing it. Thanks for sharing your ideas with us.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

gstours

Its all about playing with toys and sharing ideas and helping others,  That is why i,m here!   ;D Many people have helped me many different ways.   When you stop living your almost dead!

Hey back to the endplate milling.   The end mill can easily go 90 degrees to the other slot by just a turn of the handle with control and fair precision.   I could not find a smaller bit yet for the slot.   That would look better?   Maybe? :-\

Thanks for the comments.

swill88

Quote from: gstours on September 15, 2017, 04:20:26 PM

The millling is quite easy after you make a jig for holding the plate.  I use a crossfeed vise on a good drillpress.    Grinding the dog is via a 48 inch beltgrinder.   I would do some of these for folks out there as a service for a small fee.  If interested in this send me a pm.  
   Double dogs are good foor a reel that is expected to do some severe service in my opinion.

Gary, what makes for a "good" drill press in your opinion?

Steve

Donnyboat

Hi Steve, if your thinking of buying a new drill press, it could be more beneficial to get a used lave, about the same price, you can do many more things with one, just a thought, any negative comments welcome, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

gstours

Yools n tools? :)      The drill press can do things vertical and the work piece is stationary.   The cross feed vise holds the plate and the bit moves either way by using the cross feed handles at first at 90 degrees to each other but a curve can be milled by using both simultaneously.
     The depth of cut can be adjusted and set as needed by the quill stop I think its called.....  The Lathe has its place in a good shop butt I dont have one. 
    A good drill press can be table top or on a floor mount.  Power should be minimal usually.  Step v belts vary the spindle speed.  A quill (depth stop) is a good feature so the bit can be locked for depth.  A good work light can be added later but the better ones have a built in. Usually you get what you pay for?  1/2 inch chuck is good.   Mine is a Craftsman and 40 years old and still used very frequently.   Its a must for the repairman or serious hobby ist.   Sanding and polishing can be done such as engine turning,   Trust me you,ll do better work, and wonder how you got along with out one.  Plus you can always pass it on to the next generation if theres a chance there will still be one?