New Saltiga Star Drag Reels

Started by xaf, September 03, 2017, 10:24:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xaf

I posted this on the Daiwa forum and didn't get any response.  Thought I would post here to see if anyone has any input.

I figure the new Saltiga Star Drag reels have been out long enough now that there should be some some reports on how they stand up to actual use on the water.  I'm specifically interested in the 40 A since I'm considering purchasing one in the near future.  When they first came out I read a couple reports that they were not up to par with the old Saltiga's but I haven't seen or heard any comments recently.

Thanks
xaf

Hoogan

Hello, I recall seeing those  premature and negative feedbacks about the new Saltiga star drags, particularly the one saying "the handle sheared off" - pure nonsense. The handle knob in the Saltiga lever drags and the new star drag models have a plastic ring at the base that I've seen crack on rare occasion, no biggie. I have an ample arsenal of the old Saltiga star drags and I have always being impressed with Daiwa's outstanding engineering, machining and crafmanship, so of course I was eager to take an inside look at the new star drag line up. This have been my findings:

Incredible machining, much improved ergonomics over the older model and although they ARE smaller than their older counterparts, the spool capacity is the same due to more streamedlined machining (spool sides have narrower lips) Inside... much more sophisticated than older one, some significant upgrades: o ring on axle shaft/bridge leading to drag pack, easy spool change (3) side plate screws, all gearing contained on right side plate and sealed, this one I particularly applauded: gun drillled main gear with matching metal drag washer with ears that serves as ventilation/heat dissipation feature, outstanding!!! And much smoother both drag and turning than older one. Again (like the,older version) NO plastic parts except for a lubrication plate under the free spool mechanism which should never fail based on functionality.
On the water... Xaf: We've fished elbow to elbow on the rail of the Yankee Capts' offshore long range boat out of Key West and the pristine waters of the Dry Tortugas and Pulley Ridge Banks and you have first hand experience of the quality and fighting ability of the fish in those waters, the reels performed flawlessly, I have two 40's, one 50 in the 5-1 gear ratios and next just ordered the 15 also with 5 to 1 for Slow Pitch Jigging in 250 to 700 feet of water for Queens and Grouper. I've already hooked and brought to the side of the boat giant 200lb. Plus Goliath Grouper and 10 foot Bull sharks and they performed flawlessly! Another winner for Daiwa!