Small Kine Action

Started by Tightlines667, September 03, 2017, 11:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lawaia

Mahalo for the report.  All of us out here know what it's like to make a long run only to find the whales beat us there or, like in your vid, find birds working but the fish not really biting that well.  Still, a nice day on the water and you did well to avoid the "bolohead"; hope the aku were otaru size.  With the seasonal slowdown in trolling fish and the arrival of lighter winds, deep dropping is calling to us.  Go gettum next time out.

Gfish

Got out today also. Way late 'cause a the HS football/ homecomming game last night. Trolled an opelu deep, and an akule on the surface. No go, but man was it calm - great fishin weather. Spotted a bird pile and motored out. This, I believe, caused a boat that was trollin to look at where I's goin, see the birds and beat me out there! They buzzed right through the birds, didn't hook up and I think they musta scared the fish 'cause the birds stopped feedin and moved off! Man! Give a kayaker a chance! Anyways 1/2 day, no bait bites, no surface or deep drop lure bites. Still great to be able to get out there.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oc1

unbelievable weather and several more days of it
-steve

The Great Maudu

Great videos John. Would you mind posting a pic of your boat?

Tightlines667

Quote from: oc1 on October 02, 2017, 08:02:47 AM
unbelievable weather and several more days of it
-steve

Steve,

Actually, I think it is going to blow again this week.  They were talking gale force.  Might settle down a bit this weekend though. 

My friend calls this "Bottomfishing weather. 

Quote from: The Great Maudu on October 03, 2017, 07:52:21 AM
Great videos John. Would you mind posting a pic of your boat?

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=18449.15
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Benni3

Nice picture,,,wish I was there good luck this week  :D

Tightlines667

Quote from: Benni3 on October 03, 2017, 04:15:26 PM
Nice picture,,,wish I was there good luck this week  :D

Thanks but, I am all wrapped up for the next 3 weeks.

Heading to NODAK for my annual 20 day bird hunting trip.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9007.0

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=11864.0

In hind sight, I should have shifted gears this past weekend from targeting Pelagics to dropping deep (90-130fa.) for Paka, Ehu, Onaga, and such.  There should be plenty of time this winter to bottomfish, jig, and live bait fish.. hopefully we get some days like this.

Very few fish were caught on the troll this past weekend.. I heard of a few Blue Marlin, a Sailfish, a couple of Mahi, and Aku, but most people ended up with nothing.

The guys that bottomfished Penguin did pretty decent though.  I don't like to see people keeping those baby Omaha though.. the local stocks are just starting to see some decent recruitment, gotta let them mature to bump the long-term recovery up.  Uku, and Ehu are doing good though.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

lawaia

Hey John - Peyton Manning retired so no mo "Omaha!" ;) ;)  Thinking you mean onaga?  Bottom fishing was the thing to do this past weekend; wish I could've gotten out.  Good hunting!