Penn Torque 300 Vs torque 30 Question

Started by Whino83, September 04, 2017, 01:32:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whino83

I am looking at getting a like new old stock torque 300 but should I get the torque 30 instead that is still in production? They both seem to be powerhouses. Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

alantani

just finished working on a torque 300.  it's beefy for sure, but the problem is that the old torque 300 weighs a ton - literally, it's like a brick!  it will easily fish with 500 yards of 80# solid braid and a 50-60 pound topshot.  15-18 pounds of drag (30%) is not a problem at all. 

i have a torque 30 two speed lever drag as well.  it's loaded with 60 pound hollow braid and a topshot of 50 pound fluorocarbon.  15 pounds of drag is no problem.  it's much lighter than the torque 300. 

get the 30 II LD - the 300 is way too heavy. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Whino83

Thanks Alan. I will be using this reel from a pier in a rod holder so the only time I'd be having to notice that weight is to reel in and bait back up or when fighting a fish. A couple times a year from a boat it won't leave the rod holder. Other than the weight would you say the 300 is just as durable at the 30? On a side note I might be able to get my hands on a NOS torque 300 for $250 vs a trq 30 at $500+ new unless I could find a decent used one.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!