Okuma TG50 drag lever issue

Started by Noahg727, September 04, 2017, 01:56:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noahg727

Iv continued my tinkering into my buddies okuma tg50. Iv got it all apart, bearings cleaned and repacked, dragwasher cleaned and regreased etc. Now I'm reassembling it and Iv run into a problem. I get it all back together and go to insert the drag lever and for some reasons I can't get the drag set right. No matter what I do, I can't achieve a free spool. I'm now to this. Someone help me out here. Had the same issue with my brothers solterra, but eventually it just worked. Haven't had the same success here.

alantani

after you put the drag lever on, you have to move it to the "free" position, then install the cam, the spring and the preset knob.  not sure it you're doing that already, but it's something that is commonly missed. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Noahg727

🤔 I tried that as well and didn't work. It appears that the drag lever isn't having any affect on the spoolat all. Did I reassemble jt wrong?

Noahg727

Okay looks like I had it assembled internally slightly wrong. That issues fixed. Now 2 things: the clicker doesn't work (I think it's got a bad spring) so I put a few washers between the clicker plate and the spool. Clicker regained. 👍. Now Iv been playing with it. I notice that when I turn the preset higher it stops spinning smoothly. Like I can reel in it but it sounds like something's maybe rubbing. Also thespool itself seems to be slightly off center when it spins. I don't have the issue at lower drag settings only as it increases. Any thoughts?

alantani

if you turn the preset knob high enough, the pressure plate will start to rub against the drag washer.  check the drag pressure.  how many pounds are you getting?

Noahg727

Not sure exactly on the drag pressure. I took it apart again. Seems one of the bearings exploded. I put it the bearing back together and reassembled the reel. It worked as it should momentarily but once I put the drag up it happen again. Must be the bearing huh? I tried calling okuma but they are closed today. Do you think I'll have any issue getting a replacement bearing?

handi2

Bearings will be easy to get. All we need is the size.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

alantani

Even a 12 inch ruler works to measure these bearings. They are in whole millimeters. Dawn at smoothdrag.com will likely have them. Also boca bearings.

Tiddlerbasher

Yep! The Boss is definitely back on his horse ;D

alantani

Yeah, but I'm still not sure what's going on with his reel. :-\

Noahg727

I think what's happening is the bearing the further most to the left, on the spool itself Is coming apart. I made the mistake while cleaning them to take both metal shields off and also the inner metal guide which holds them in place. I thought it would still stay together and spin better but I thought wrong. When pressure is applied to the spool, it causes the bearing to come apart and the inner ring on the bearing comes out of the bearing itself. Then there's nothing to hold the shaft strait in that spot and it just wobbles around. Make sense?

alantani

yup, you need a new bearing.  they should not come apart like that.

Tiddlerbasher

'The inner metal guide' holds the balls a fixed distance apart - it can't work without the cage. Not even worth trying to refit, you probably crippled it when you took it out :( As Alan suggested measure it - it will be a bog standard metric size - go to Boca or Dawn and order a new one. Apply a couple of drops of TSI321 or marine grease - your choice.

Noahg727