Main Menu

Cabeza soup

Started by steelfish, September 04, 2017, 08:08:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

but not your regular Mexican tacos de beef cabeza plate
this is a Yellowtail Head soup

the soup is a new recipe my wife was trying and we were saving a big YT head for a lazy sunday meal, this was the perfect time, it was raining in Baja so, it was "cold" in summer, really strange but it happens from time to time, no better time for a comfy warm soup.

this is the YT Head taking out from the soup to get the meat

then, just take the skin off, some guys eat it, we dont

then go for your favorite part, the eyes are mine, everybody at home knows that

in the other plate you see some forehead meat, cheeks meat and both eyes and you are almost done

add the soup and go for it  ;D ;D ::) ::) 

one eye for the start and the other one for the last bite, once in your spoon, add two drops of lemon juice and two drops of salsa tabasco and you're set, they taste like heaven.

The Baja Guy

Dominick

I like fish broth but not the eyes.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

David Hall

My little brother always ate the eyes.  I just can't get past it.  But that soup looks awesome and I bet it tastes as good as it looks.

El Pescador

Steelfish!

We need to meet!

I too am an eye ball eater!!!

LOVE BBQ'd trout while out camping or backpacking - and NO ONE EVER fights me for the left or the right side eyeball!!!  EVER!

YUM  YUM ;)

How is the fishing in San Felipe area??

Any fishing in the Colorado river where it hits the Gult of California???

Thanks,

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

steelfish

Quote from: El Pescador on September 04, 2017, 09:08:17 PM
Steelfish!
We need to meet!
Wayne

you're more than welcome to come anytime, if we ever meet I will take you to try some BBQ (Barbacoa) Cow eyeball tacos, they are a "delicatessen", a greasy, fatty cut of meat just as good as eating Marrow.
fish eyeballs are not that far actually.

fishing in san felipe area is good but depends on the season, the good season starts in March, the good fishing is Gonzaga Area which is 70 miles south of SF and season starts in late october but the prime time is in Jan, february for YT and big cabrillas and groupers.

fishing is not allowed on the zone where the colorado river hits the sea of cortez, thats a natural fish reservoir, all local species of bass (corvinas, croackers, whitebass, totoaba, cabrillas, etc) go to that place to leave tons of eggs and reproduce, its so easy to kill/catch almost half of the total population of that fishery in few days if you leave the commercial fishing companies to go there, that's the reason of since many years ago you cant fish there even with rod and reels, I might be wrong that I think all started when the Sea of Cortez was named the "aquarium of the world" that many regulatios started.

by the way, if you come here, just to keep everything in peace, right eyeball is mine and left one is yours.
The Baja Guy

conchydong

Looks great to me. I am originally from Key West from Bahamian roots and boiled fish heads were part of our diet. Lo and behold I married a Filipina and they eat every part of a fish also. A match made in heaven. We/I generally split the  larger heads in half down the middle with a hatchet and hammer prior to cooking. It is a little extra work bit well worth it. I also suck the eyeball slime and spit out the BBs. ;D

steelfish

Quote from: conchydong on September 04, 2017, 11:38:13 PM
We/I generally split the  larger heads in half down the middle with a hatchet and hammer prior to cooking.............. I also suck the eyeball slime and spit out the BBs. ;D

cool, feels good to be the only one that gets the weird looks by the relatives on a family dinner, LOL

this YT head is the bigger size that we cook whole in the soup SS pot, if I ever catch anything bigger I will have to cut the heat in half as you do.
The Baja Guy

El Pescador

Quote from: steelfish on September 04, 2017, 11:00:36 PM
Quote from: El Pescador on September 04, 2017, 09:08:17 PM
Steelfish!
We need to meet!
Wayne

you're more than welcome to come anytime,
by the way, if you come here, just to keep everything in peace, right eyeball is mine and left one is yours.

Steelfish,

Deal, but relatively speaking, left or right depends on how you look at the fish ;D     !!!!!!!

LOVE to grind up a BIG grouper someday, that would be a useful part of my fishing day.

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

handi2

Only once i ate the eyeball..
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

ChileRelleno

Steelfish,
that sopa looks fantastic!  8)
I'll take an eyeball or two also, good stuff.
I'm all about the lesser eaten parts of many critters.
Stuff most gringos consider offal.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

steelfish

Thanks Chile, coming from a chef like you counts double

Keith, you should try it again, maybe with your favorite adult beverage to get the most flavor from it
The Baja Guy

MarkT

I guess Lidia wasn't an issue?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!