Question about the 550 and 550N

Started by festus, September 05, 2017, 03:33:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

Will parts between the Quick 550 and 550N interchange? Someone gave me this old 550N l don't really want to put any money into and can't find a 550N for sale anywhere.

foakes

Unfortunately, No...Festus --

They will not interchange -- two completely different reels.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

festus

Thanks for the quick answer, Fred. This reel needs a bail spring and cover cap, some anti-reverse work and some washers and  maybe more.  l found a youtube tutorial  on rebuilding this reel but it's not very helpful, it's more about machining the rotor and powder coating.  l've found lots of good information on youtube and this site for rebuilding Mitchell 300s which has been very helpful.  l just have no confidence in tearing into a D.A.M. Quick without tutorials and photos.

festus

Looks like l spoke too soon, perhaps this topic by mo65 will help me.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=22241.0

Midway Tommy

No reason to be timid, Festus. While there are a few subtle differences in disassembly/reassembly of most classic vintage spinning reels, once you've seen a video or done one, they're all basically the same procedure. The best way to learn is to "grab the bull by the horns" and dig in. Experience is the best teacher. Then if you run into a little stumbling block just ask for some advice.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

festus

Thanks for the encouragement, Tom.  The past couple of weeks l've disassembled, lubed, and reassembled about a dozen Mitchell 300s with few problems.  Just need to get more familiar with my Quicks.

foakes

The way I do it, is to just assume that there are (4) pieces to this reel -- not 77.

Frame and gear assembly
Crank assembly
Complete rotor assembly with all pieces in place
Spool assembly

Just take it apart -- paying attention to how the pieces interact -- if unsure, take a few pics of the procedure for reassembly time.

Clean every part very well -- these old large spinners have been used hard -- burnish and polish every part for smoother operation.

Parts to be careful with on this particular reel are the tiny C clip holding the switch pin in place under spring pressure -- compression spring -- switch block spring.  These are all easily lost or fragile.

Reassemble with your choice of greases and oil --

Assemble the complete spool
Assemble the complete rotor and bail assembly
Assemble the complete handle assembly
Assemble the gears, bearing, stop lever and body

What you have now are (4) large pieces to assemble together with the help of a few connecting parts --

First, attach the rotor to the body
Next, slide in the spool axle
Connect the drive gear axle shaft to the handle assembly
Attach the connecting oscillating arm
Attach all safety clips (C or E clips)
Close up the case
Check operation of the crank, gears, A/R, bail, etc.
Install the spool

Done...

These old "N" series reels are well worth restoring -- but that is up to you.

When you tear it down, and if parts are needed -- let me know, I may have what you need.

Frankly, after you have done a few of these -- you will be very capable and confident.

However, the 550N is not even close to the 550, or any other spinner for that matter -- except in outside appearance.  The bail trip mechanism, A/R, springs, and such are unique to this series of reels.

However, all of the principles of working your way through the project -- are constant, and easy to understand as you are observant -- and I am sure you are.

Here is a schematic and parts list --

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

happyhooker

Go for it, Festus; that reel is worth taking a look at; don't hesitate at all to go as far as you can & ask for assistance.

Frank

festus

The side plate doesn't want to come off.  Never had this problem with my 220.  Got the same problem with my 220N, of course the N series is completely different as there are 3 screws instead of one and the handle isn't reversable.

foakes

Just use an old pocketknife -- tap it lightly in the seam -- it will pop right off.

There is one tab that locks the sideplate in place up front -- so it needs to be backed out from this position -- not the front.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

festus

Thanks again, Fred, it popped right off.  Doesn't look too nasty inside but it needed some cleaning. It's been storming outside and I don't want to use any solvents inside the house and will definitely give it a thorough cleaning later in the next few days.  I did brush all moving parts in there with vinegar, cleaned it up somewhat, and added some marine grease.  It cranks much smoother.

It still has some anti reverse problems, I can hear a little grinding inside when I reel it backwards.

Now I have more confidence in working on this reel and the 220N............at least if I can figure out how to get the rotating head off, lol.

foakes

Just unscrew the connecting block holding the lower end of the spool axle -- remove the axle -- remove the hex nut holding the rotor in place -- the rotor will just come off -- then your A/R problem will be revealed under the rotor -- either a gummed up A/R dog, bad spring, or a gouged dog.

A/R system is below the rotor -- not at the gears or crank.

IMO, it is adequate -- but not ideal.

Always best to have the A/R system stop the gears -- not stop the centrifigal force of the aluminum rotor with an aluminum dog...

I suspect your gears are just fine --

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

festus

Got 'er done with the great advice of Fred. 

The anti-reverse works fine now.  I'm not sure how I fixed it but I think the setting element was out of place.

And I solved another problem, I could hear a clanking below the spool when cranking. That was simple, the ratched wheel wasn't seated properly against the axle.

Looks like the brakes are functioning properly, was thinking I was lacking washers but apparently not so.

Now all I need is a bail spring I hope, will get with you Fred, probably need some spares on my other Quicks---a 220, 220N, and a Finessa that looks to be the next size up from the 220.  Also need an angle lever for a 220.

Thanks again for everyone's encouragement and help.  I'll probably use this reel for stripers and catfish in the tailwaters at dams.  I scored a 9' Roddy surfcaster rod a few days ago that will be a good match.

Midway Tommy

I knew you could do it, Festus. Experience, with a little help from friends now and then, really is the best teacher.  ;)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Saturday or Sunday, Festus --

Send me a laundry list of what you need.

We are leaving for 3 days at the Coast early tomorrow morning.

Might have wi-fi access -- but cannot send out the parts until Monday, earliest.

Good job on everything!

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.