Deep scratches on a relatively new rod (all the way down to the blank!)

Started by the rockfish ninja, September 05, 2017, 04:55:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What the heck do I do?

Slap some duct tape on it and hope for the best?
1 (25%)
Leave it ugly as sin and wait for it to snap?
1 (25%)
Go rod shopping to take the sting out of this catastrophe?
1 (25%)
Buy only cheap rods you don't care about damaging?
0 (0%)
Screw it all and take up golf?
1 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 4

the rockfish ninja

>:( If they had more unhappy emojis on this site I would use them. :'(

Well, this is how the story goes. I've had very bad luck with fishing rods this year, I've broken two of them and had "not so pleasant" experiences with the manufacturers in getting replacements. So I recently purchased a St. Croix inshore casting rod and was really happy with it, I even made it a point to treat it nice because I know I can be tough on my gear. This was going really well until this afternoon when I slipped on a seaweed covered rock and took a pretty good spill. I saved myself from falling into water or smashing my bones or skull against the rocks, but the rod took most of the impact and received some pretty nasty scratches right above the fore grip. They are not superficial and are cut into the blank in a couple spots, which we all know will compromise the stability of the rod and it will be prone to break under the pressure of a big fish.

Because it's so low down on the blank (right above the fore grip) and the arc of the bend is much higher up on the rod, it seems still very stable. I've tested it out with my Drag scale, and put some serious force to it but it didn't snap, so I guess it still a usable piece. I just won't be fully confident with it knowing that the blank is damaged. It's not a high dollar item (Tidemaster series $180.) but it is my best casting 8 ft rod, and I was pretty happy with it until now.

I tried to look up any types of repairs that can be done in this situation on the web but only came up with things telling me that after the blank has a deep scratch on it, it's done for. If anyone has some input or advice I'm open to what you have to say.  I'll be over here in the corner with a box of tissue. ...................Wah, sniff sniff.
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

foakes

If it is just forward of the foregrip -- why couldn't it just be either sleeved, then epoxied over -- then extend the foregrip to cover it?

Same process would work if the blank is hollow -- by epoxying a solid tapered piece inside the blank -- then extending the foregrip with additional material.

I have a feeling that you will not ever be happy with it -- or trust it completely -- until you devise a competent fix.

So basically, nothing to lose by trying.

Actually could make it a little stronger for casting.

We have some great and clever rod experts on site who will offer better solutions, I'm sure.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Cor

Graphite rods can mostly be perfectly repaired, even when broken completely, that's the good news.   It can be a lot of work to do, but I find it a challenge.

It would probably entail finding a piece of graphite with a similar profile, thicker diameter, that will make a sleeve to go over the damaged section, so you will always see it.

Unless you feel certain it is going to break at that spot I would probably leave it and hope for the best, but making the repair before it actually breaks completely will have a far greater chance of success, be much easier, stronger, lighter and look better.

Check very carefully for hairline cracks, scratches can be OK, but even the smallest crack will beak.

Good luck!
Cornelis

Tiddlerbasher

What about 2 or 3 layers of wrapping thread each one epoxied - it should improve the strength :-\
Alternately you can buy strips of carbon fibre (the flexible stuff) - wrap over the scratches then epoxy - finish the end of the wrap with a thread wrap that matches the ring wrap.

thorhammer

Tony, as above, without fully stripping the blank, over wrap section long enough for strength and to cover cosmetically to a good place in the graphics. You can then use a standard epoxy and rotate by hand until it sets. Sounds like you have two broken ones unfortunately so you may alternatively cut off the st croix butt cap and epoxy in a shunt cut from the other donor rod. Either way will become stronger than tip as you said. Jon Vadney could probably do this quickly on his lathe but I haven't seen him on here lately.

oc1

I agree with Tiddlerbasher.  Sand most of the finish off the rod in the area to be wrapped but don't take off any graphite.  Wrap with carbon fiber thread if you can find it.  Otherwise, get a strip of fiberglass cloth and pull threads out to wrap with.  Nylon thread would probably work just as well but will not give you as much confidence. Apply just enough epoxy to wet out the thread.  When cured, lightly sand again and add another thin coat of epoxy.  Wrap over it with decorative thread and finish as usual.

No need to go overboard.  I would worry about reinforcing it too much and ruining the action.

-steve

the rockfish ninja

I like the over wrap thread/epoxy concept, I'm sure it will look and perform better than duct tape, and I'm not going to strip the guides and make a sleeve. That's a little too much work for a rod under $200. but wrapping thread, I can do.

Thanks for the tips!!

......but I was almost sure there were a ton of gear addicts here and the poll results was going to say go have fun buying more gear.  :D

steelfish

Quote from: oc1 on September 05, 2017, 10:42:54 AM
I agree with Tiddlerbasher.  Sand most of the finish off the rod in the area to be wrapped but don't take off any graphite.  Wrap with carbon fiber thread if you can find it.  
-steve

this is what I love of this site, the learning is always permanent
thanks Steve for the tip

BTW here are some of that CF thread available, I will get some to have it on hand
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Meter-TORAY-T700SC-12K-Carbon-Fiber-tow-continuous-filament-Yarn-thread-tape-/172646288696?hash=item2832854d38:g:qkkAAOSw53NZAPZt
The Baja Guy

the rockfish ninja

Thanks, I think I can get my hands on some or a good equal, can somebody suggest a good epoxy product to work with?

Midway Tommy

If I was really worried about the soundness of the blank I would remove the butt cap, find the correct diameter broken blank (light graphite of course) cut to the appropriate length and add an epoxied insert inside, then wrap the outside with thread to cover the scratches.     
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Tiddlerbasher

smnaguwa

Per Fred, I have done both; epoxied a section internally(your tackle shop may give you a broken rod section) AND sanded, wrapped nylon thread and applied epoxy. Have had no problems since, except the rod is slightly heavier. Used the nylon thread for tension to close any micro-cracks.

happyhooker

If thinking about a repair, look up the Ralph O'Quinn article on it from Rodmaker mag Jan/Feb 2000.  May be able to access thru flyanglersonline.com.

I punched a hole last summer about 8" above the foregrip on a spinning rod I had built many years ago.  Followed a repair process similar to what Tommy suggests, but use fiberglass insert (see O'Quinn article as to why).  Cut off the bottom of the butt cap & dropped an appropriately sized (length & diameter) insert inside & glued in place.  Thread wrapped the outside & put poly over the top.  She casts fine with no further damage & have caught some decent sized fish on it with no issues.