Okuma solterra drag issue

Started by Noahg727, September 05, 2017, 07:46:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noahg727

Okay, so Iv been going through my fishing teams reels and servicing them myself. Next one on the table is an okuma solterra 50w. Iv already serviced my brothers solterra 50w with no issues. I haven't opened this one up yet but I know from experience that the issue is this: 1) The drag isn't nearly as high as it was when I got it 2) the drag setting is unstable. What I mean is once I set the preset high, when it drops into free a few times the it gradually loweres without me actually lowering the preset. Iv heard this could happen if you tighten the preset when the lever is not in "free". I'm afraid this may have happen a few times. Hopefully this is an easy fix. Thoughts?

alantani

go through and do a standard service - a light coat of grease everywhere, open, clean and lube the spool bearings, pack the non-spool bearings with grease, and wipe down and regrease the drag washer.  then let's see how it works. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Noahg727

Finally got a chance to do it today. I did everything you said. It works better than ever! I think I was a little confused on what exactly to do prior to this.  Thanks for the quick summary, it finally clicked. I'm getting like 25 seconds + of freespool.👌

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!