Okuma SEa Service

Started by josa1, September 06, 2017, 02:17:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Regarding the dog spring (wire), I slot it in the dog then snap it in the plastic ring. Never had a proble installing. But I have found that after taking the wire on and off several times, I need to squeeze the wire off the reel where it snaps onto the plastic ring to get it back to a snug fit for the dods to engage. It seems to get bug-up in the open position if the wire is too loose on the plastic ring.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

Quote from: exp2000 on September 06, 2017, 02:46:40 AM
I have not serviced that many Okumas, but I have a draw full of wrecks and have seen enough to know that I will not be accepting any more.

brett is correct regarding the old okuma reels and, in all fairness, the design of the makaira line is very similar to the old titus gold line.  but okuma really does now do a better job of putting these reels together, and once you get used to the order of things, they are not that bad.  tedious, yes, but not that bad.  so i do still recommend the makaira line.  both okuma and penn have really taken our message of "grease in all the right places" to heart.  it's been very gratifying to see. 

now if we could just get these companies to apply the same standards to their lower end reels, we could see the same improvements in reliability. 

and on a side note, brett has a great facebook page.  check out https://www.facebook.com/groups/KimberleyRodandReel/
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

exp2000

Quote from: alantani on September 06, 2017, 05:02:18 PM
and on a side note, brett has a great facebook page.  check out https://www.facebook.com/groups/KimberleyRodandReel/

I am blushing now  ::)

Thanks for the plug Boss.
~

Rivverrat

Quote from: josa1 on September 06, 2017, 03:55:15 AM
Hi riverrat,

Do you service these reels?  If so, how would you rate the difficulty level?

I totally agree that the Makairas are great to fish, I'm just trying to learn how others perceive their serviceability.

Thanks for the comments!

josa1

No I'VE not serviced any Mak's in any sizable numbers. But have taken a few apart. I'm far from an expert on them. Just voicing my thoughts based on what I've seen & primarily hearing that most that have them seemed to be pleased with them....jEFF

alantani

i do agree that they are much more difficult and tedious than the avets.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

exp2000

the makaira line is very similar to the old titus gold line.  but okuma really does now do a better job of putting these reels together, and once you get used to the order of things, they are not that bad.  tedious, yes, but not that bad.  so i do still recommend the makaira line.

I have done a few of the Titus Golds and they were a much better reel than other Okumas. I still encountered quality and corrosion issues, but not enough to completely discourage me.

I observed premature wear on one drag cam lever due to inferior alloy quality and upon encountering an immovable seized drag chamber cover, I was instructed by their tech to just smash and replace it but the replacement cost was only something like $A5 plus postage.

What is the alloy quality like on the Makairas? Has it improved significantly?
~

josa1

Really haven't seen any corrosion on Makairas.  Just minor amounts under the rod mount and rod mount screws.

Want to be clear that the MAKs are great reels, I have three that have had no major problems, and, they fish great.  Great free spool, great heavy drags, smooth shifting and such.  I just can't seem to learn how to service them to my satisfaction, and each time I do I seem to run into some difficulty.

But,,,I'll keep trying!

josa1

TannerCortes

Quote from: exp2000 on September 08, 2017, 02:06:25 AM
the makaira line is very similar to the old titus gold line.  but okuma really does now do a better job of putting these reels together, and once you get used to the order of things, they are not that bad.  tedious, yes, but not that bad.  so i do still recommend the makaira line.

I have done a few of the Titus Golds and they were a much better reel than other Okumas. I still encountered quality and corrosion issues, but not enough to completely discourage me.

I observed premature wear on one drag cam lever due to inferior alloy quality and upon encountering an immovable seized drag chamber cover, I was instructed by their tech to just smash and replace it but the replacement cost was only something like $A5 plus postage.

What is the alloy quality like on the Makairas? Has it improved significantly?
~

Hi,

IMHO, I have the 16 sea and just recently picked up the 10 sea because the 16 delivered big when it mattered.  Feels solid, compose and that drag!!! wow!!! 

It seems heavier than other reels its size, but for me they are a great reel and are my go to med/heavy live bait outfits. 

I read the owner's manual about the heavy duty anodizing process they used on virtually every component and it all feels and looks like it reads:).

Anyway, hope that helps a bit.

Hans

handi2

I dont have any trouble with these reels or the older ones. Okuma has there on way of doing things. Once you get used to that your are set.

They do take more time than a Shimano Tiagra. These are so simple and quick to do.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL