Penn Graphite Frame 5000

Started by gon42na, September 06, 2017, 03:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gon42na

Hi Guys and gals,

I have on my bench made in the USA Penn Graphite reel that says its a 5000 where most commonly you would find 555 or 550 etc.   Its pretty much a clone of the  555GS and I chose that because it shows it has a gear ratio of 5.3:1.  Trying to post some pictures...

Does anyone know where I might  find a schematic for this reel? It came to me in a baggie and has a few missing parts.. Unluckily the parts normally stamped with numbers show 5000 so I cant get a cross referance ex. 12-5000
on the yoke.

I suppose I could just order the parts as 555 GS and see if they work  but would like to geta little closer to knowing rather than guessing.. Anybody??

thorhammer

I have one. Yours is the third I've known to exist. I think I read way back somewhere that the 5000 was the prototype year for the excellent GS series, which then radiated to 525, 535, 545, 555. The 555 is a wider 545, and as far as I can tell with mine is the 5000 rebadged for the series, so parts should interchange.  You may find drag washers are different material but I think mine were HT100's even then, probably 1994. I used this series extensively on kings, mahi, Spanish and the 525 and 525 Mag (still very highly regarded) for drum.

Tony may be able to clarify more on the lineage but schematically I think 555 is same.

Penn

Quote from: thorhammer on September 06, 2017, 03:13:20 PM

Tony may be able to clarify more on the lineage but schematically I think 555 is same.

Correct.

tony

Penn

Quote from: Penn on September 06, 2017, 03:21:06 PM
Quote from: thorhammer on September 06, 2017, 03:13:20 PM

Correct.

tony

gon42na

Wow, that didnt take long.. thanks so much Thornhammer and Penn saved me a lot of guess work. May tell my customer to put this one on the shelf..

Dont know why it was taken apart but the reel has never been used and the kid still has the original box although regretably no paper work.

Chalk it up to interesting finds I guess. Again thanks guys for your instant come back. This truely is such a great site..
Bob

thorhammer

I think I got mine with box for $35 because no one knew what it was. the king mac's did, tho :)