Avet Pro EXW 50/2 Problems

Started by handi2, September 06, 2017, 06:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

This reel came in with a few years of hard use and has never been serviced. 4 of the bearings were rusted. Internally the reel was clean with no corrosion.

It had no freespool and no drag. Easy fix right??

I've been through the reel 4 times trying different configurations on the bellvilles and shims. No luck.

When I cleaned the 2 drag plates only the outer drag was dirty. The inner drag was like new and not dirty at all. This is where my main question comes to play.

Looking at the inner drag plate it is recessed in the spool. How can the brake disc work with it recessed?

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

handi2

It was 5 bearings replaced. Pinion bearing, 2 drive bearings, and 2 spool bearings.
Gulf Breeze, FL

alantani

on other reels, there are small springs that sit in the holes along the rim of the spool to hold the metal rotor away from the drag washer.  the 50 should have these as well, no?  also, with so much bearing damage, there is also the possibility that water may have gotten underneath the carbon fiber material and cause a bubbling or lifting of the carbon fiber so that it bangs against the rotor.  those high spots would also limit free spool. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

josa1

Hi handi2,

As far as I remember, the 50 and 80 are very similar, if not the same, in assembly.

Go about half way through this...

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=18748.0

and you'll find where I dismantled, cleaned, and reassembled the spool assembly of an 80.

If need be, I can take the spool out of my 50 SDS, take pictures and send them to you.

Here is the schematic for the AVET 50 in case you don't have it..

http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/content/schematics/Avet_ProEX50-2spd.pdf

josa1

handi2

Yes it has the springs and clips as usual but I left the springs out showing the metal drag disc laying flat on the spool. I bought new springs and the new ones are longer. The old ones were bent and could cause the drag disc to hang up.
Gulf Breeze, FL

alantani

Quote from: handi2 on September 06, 2017, 06:04:53 PM

Looking at the inner drag plate it is recessed in the spool. How can the brake disc work with it recessed?

you're right, it can't......   :-\

there has to be a shim washer that is missing. 

handi2

I did shim it up to barely above the spool and still no go. The thing is I can't get any drag out of this reel.

I did notice I have to turn the preset many times to get any drag. No freespool. I also shimmed the outer drag plate, it already has one, and got drag quicker but no freespool. Skimmed on top of the tail plate bearing.

All parts, shims, are in the reel according to the schematic.

The spool sleeve looks awful short too.
Gulf Breeze, FL

josa1

Is it possible that the inner pin is missing?  Shows as item 22 in the schematic.

Note that the inner brake pad is sandwiched between the inner pin, (BRAKE PAD), then the return spring and outter pin.

Seems that if the inner brake pad was contacting the spool bearing that there would be no free spool.

josa1

handi2

All pins are there..

Thanks

I'm going to remove the shim on the outer brake pad and put in under the drag side bearing. On top of the spool sleeve. This may shim the bearing just right.
Gulf Breeze, FL

alantani

it's a spacing issue.  it's gotta be that!  :-\

Bryan Young

After the spool bearing, there should be a thrust washer so the drag washer plate sits about 0.040" above the rim of the spool. The spring holding the drag plate should rest about 0.020-0.030" above the drag washer with the clips in place securing the drag plate to the spool. These are estimates.

Then the spring and the pin. From there I will normally spin the spool to ensure that the spool can spin freely without contacting or barely skimming the surface of the drag washer.  Then I think the spacing would be resolved.

Good luck.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

josa1

Hi handi2

Well, this is the type of problem that surely raises interest.   ???

I have one final thought,,,,,If you look at the schematic and at the 80 tutorial, you will note that there is a raised area on the back side of inner brake pad that contacts the inner race of the spool bearing and pushes the whole brake pad assembly outward.  I started thinking that if it was a spacing problem and that if the wrong brake pad mounting disc had been installed, one without the raised area on the inside of the disc, then that would lead to the problems that you are experiencing.

Thanks for letting me participate in your diagnosis...It surely is fun for me.

josa1

josa1

Hi Again Handi2

Well, it turns out that another solution comes to mind.

What if the spool bearing was of the improper thickness?  This would definitely cause a spacing issue, letting the inner brake pad assembly slide too far up the shaft and come in contact with the spool, thus no free spool.  Since the schematic shows no spacers anywhere around the spool bearings this is the last thing I could come up with that might cause the problem.

A post above listing the AVET bearings by reels size says that the dimensions of the EX 50 spool bearings should be:  3/8" x 7/8" x 9/32".  Is this what you have in the reel?

josa1

handi2

Yes Josa that's the correct size. A very common bearing size used small Penn spinning reels up to 30W Penn reels. All of the Penn 700 series spinning reels from 710 up.

Thanks
Gulf Breeze, FL

josa1

Man, that's amazing.  If the bearing is right, the pin is in, the drag plate is right, how in the world do you get a plate that is so recessed into the spool?  I will really be interested in how you solve this.

I'm working on a Makaira 16 SEa right now and having about as much luck as you're having with the Avet.  I'm going to have another go at it this afternoon.  When I finish, I'll take my 50 SDS apart, remove the spool, dismantle the spool, take pictures and send them to you.

Good luck!

josa1