Avet Pro EXW 50/2 Problems

Started by handi2, September 06, 2017, 06:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

I shimmed on top of the spool bearing to get the inner drag plate up above the spool rim as Bryan noted. I have tried this before but it was too high. Great freespool out of the reel. Not good in the reel. I'll remove the shim on the outer brake incase that shim is pushing the outer brake in too far and rubbing.

After I finished the other reels on the table. I'm wearing out the screws on this one..!!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

handi2

It's getting a bit better.

I now have 20lbs of drag with freespool. Getting closer. I had to shim under the inner brake 0.80 thousand to get the inner brake high enough. I'll add the outer brake shim and try it again. This pushes the outer brake closer to the metal brake disc.
Gulf Breeze, FL

Bryan Young

That looks about right. I have never had to use so many shims before though.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tightlines667

I think so remember working on an older Tiagra 80 that experienced similar symptoms, and required shimming on the left spool bearing/under the inner drag plate.  I have come to realize that the key to servicing a lot of these larger lever drag reels is getting the spacing right through shimming.  It is not always obvious where the shims are needed though, and can take some experimenting to get it right.  I was warned to be careful not to overshot, since it can reduce needed clearance in the left side plate for the spool shaft.  There is usually room for 3 or maybe 4 shims along the shaft.  More then that,  and you may be looking for trouble when you lock the drag down. 

Sounds like you are getting close to getting this one sorted.  I hope you get her back working within factory specs.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

josa1

I agree with Bryan, the height of the bearing looks about right.  But why this amount of shims on top of the bearing?  Do you know how much thickness in shim stock you added?  By the way, I'm totally impressed with the professional appearance of your shims.  Makes me ashamed of my beer can shims!

I'm sorta like you Handi2 because I have my own problems.  I'm making some progress on the MAK but still not to my satisfaction.

Maybe sometime tomorrow I will take the 50SDS apart.

josa1

handi2

25lbs at strike with freespool. Ill find some thicker shims for the inner brake. Its still not like I want it to be.

The Makaira reels are no problem for me owning 5 of them. Too bad only 2 get any use.

One of those off brand Aikaya (sp) reels came in. Its a 30 2 speed. All corroded outside but fine inside. It will be interesting to see what parts they copied. It has a common ARB as seen in the Torium reels plus the common trolling reel double dogs on the left side.

Gulf Breeze, FL

alantani

yeah, ideally you'd like about 45 pounds at strike......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

josa1

Here are some pictures of the AVET 50 San Diego Special Drag Set Up.

As handi2 has stated, the problem is with the spacing of the inner drag plate, it is too recessed into the spool on his pictures.

Here are a few pictures that might help solve (solved as Inspector Cluseau" says).

This is the reel where the pictures came from...

DSCN0141

When the outer plate is removed, you get this..

DSCN0142

The outer drag plate has a "bump out".  This bump out flat is .217" below the outer edge as I measure it.  For ACTUAL dimension you should probably measure it.  My measurements are usually +/- .005", which seems about as close as I can get with my instruments.

DSCN)0144

Here, the outer drag plate is removed.  You see the metal drag plate the both inner and outer carbontex drags press against to produce force.  Note the "E" clips that hold the metal drag in place.

DSCN0146

Here the metal drag plate is removed, the 'e' clips and springs removed and stored.  Note that the inner drag plate sits proud of the spool assembly by about .130".  This is a telling picture, if you look at handi2's picture you can see a world of difference.

DSCN0147

DSCN0148

Here, you can see the rise of the inner drag plate above the spool.

DSCN0149

I think this rise is controlled by the "bump out" on the back side of the inner drag plate, ".067", if the bump out is less, that could be a problem.

DSCN0151

This is the spool shaft, bearing and cross pin under the inner drag plate.

DSCN0153

Here is the bearing.  More or less the measurements are .776" wide x .182" thick.  It fits on a spool shaft of .547" so the bore of the bearing is near that.

DSCN0154

DSCN0155

The bore in the spool that receives the bearing is .248" deep.

DSCN0156

I'm doing this in a bit of a rush so I might have to edit it. I do hope it help solves this problem.

josa1