June 2, 4, and 6, 2011 Cabo San Lucas Trip

Started by Dominick, June 08, 2011, 11:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

June 2, 2011.  My fishing buddy Joseph Licata fished the El Bandito out of CSL.  We usually fish out of La Playita, but I booked the El Bandito out of CSL as a shakedown cruise since we have it booked for the WON Tuna Tournament in November.  To our delight the boat a 29 foot Black Fin which we booked through Red Hot Sport Fishing was a great boat for fishing.  Captain Martin Ibarra and Janitizio Quintana proved to be top notch fishermen.  We started out at 6:15 a.m.  There were no Sardina available so we purchased Cabillito and Ballyhoo for bait.  The wind was coming from the Northeast and it proved to be rough seas. 
   We set out one Petralero one flying fish lure and three cedar plugs in blue green and natural (the natural had brown and pink daisy chain of squid ahead of the plug).  Trolling in rough seas the blue cedar plug got the first hit, and we landed a nice 25lb Tuna.  No sooner did we get the blue cedar plug back out that it got hit again.  The blue seemed to be the lure of choice.  Then the green got some action.  I lost count of the action as we were busy pulling in Tuna when one of the poles went off with a Dorado leaping out of the water.  The Dorado was approximately 25lbs.  No sooner did we get the all the lures out one of the rods went off and proved to be a Striped Marlin.  After a 15-20 minute battle I brought a Striped Marlin to the boat in the 150lb class.  We performed CPR on the fish sent it on its way.  Since we already had Tuna, Marlin and Dorado we switched out the lures for Wahoo.  We ended up getting a few more Tuna on the Wahoo lures (2 Skinny Bombs in pink and purple).   Total for the day 15 Tuna to 40lbs, one Dorado and 1 Striped Marlin.
   June 4, 2011.  The day started out breezy again, but not as heavy as the previous trip.  Since the blue cedar plug was getting all the action we had gone to the local lure shop to purchase another blue cedar plug.  We were trying everything in our arsenal to see what would get the most hits.  We had 2 blue cedars, 1 green, 1 black and blue skirted lure and 1 Mexican flag out when ZZZZT one rod went off as my friend Joe reached for the rod ZZZT, ZZZT, ZZZT all the rods went off.  Now we had 5 Tuna on at the same time.  There was a mad scramble for the rods.  While we were fighting the fish I kept looking over at one rod that had a Penn Torque 100 and the line was stripping off rather quickly.  Everyone was busy with a fish on.  Busy ducking and twisting over and under each other.  I got over to the rod as it was close to being spooled.  I reached over and tightened the drag.  That stopped the line from fully stripping off the reel.  We were able to land all 5 tuna.  No sooner did we get the lures out again when a Striped Marlin hit one of the lures but did not hook up.  Total for the day was 8 Tuna.
   June 6, 2011.  We fished out of La Playita on the La Leona II, with Captain Arturo Castillo and mate Antonio Cota.  We decided to target Wahoo.  Captain Arturo set out toward East Cape and somewhere north of Punta Gorda we set out Wahoo lures and trolled for 3 hours but we did not get one hit.  After this time we switched over to all Marlin lures and got a hit on the Petralero.  It was Joe's turn for a Marlin and after a 20–25 minute battle, brought the Marlin to the boat.  That was all she wrote for the day.  On a scale of 1-10 this was 9 plus fishing trip.  See Photo Bucket link for photos.  Dominick

http://s1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd459/lmdl4law/JUNE%202011%20CABO%20SAN%20LUCAS%20TRIP/
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

redsetta

Great story and photos - cheers Dominick. My brother has a farm in Todos Santos, about an hour from Los Cabos. It's a beautiful part of the world and a great place to fish - the photos brought back a lot of memories!
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

broadway

Glad to hear you had another really fishy trip... keep the fish stories rolling!
DOm

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.