Mitchell Riptide power handle for Jigmaster

Started by Decker, September 07, 2017, 03:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Decker

I found this Mitchell Riptide handle on ebay at a great price.  With Mo's help I was able to determine that it would fit a Jigmaster, so I bought it.

The handle fits well on a Jigmaster sleeve, and the jm nut will fit it fine also.  The challenge is to get the nut locker working.  My handl did not come with the nut locking parts.  The locking screw hole is too far from the nut to work with the Penn nut and screw, so I started looking for the Mitchell parts.

First try was to use the nut locker parts from a Mitchell 600, which Fred sent me (Thanks, Fred!).  However, these did not work on the Riptide handle.

Scouring the web for Mitchel parts, I found a schematic, and determined that I needed these three parts: http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/content/schematics/Mitchell_Riptide_22C42C6-0___GL.pdf

• handle nut: part# 1066210
  • handle nut locker: 1066211
  • locker screw: 1066212

"Nut locker" - hehe  - sounds like something the squirrels would start filling about now.

Now, how to get these parts...  Could not find them listd for sale on the web, but got a phone number for Mitchell parts (Pure fishing):

Mitchell Factory Service Center
Mitchell Factory Reel Service
1900 18th St.
Spirit Lake, IA 51360
(877) 502-6482

I got these three parts for about $9 shipped.

With these parts, the handle fits great on the Jigmaster, even matches the color of the side-plates.  
I really like the length and comfort of this handle.  It seems like the Riptide conventional reels never caught on.  The new handles can be purchased for about $20.  Mine is a 4/0 size, and there is a smaller 2/0 handle, but I don't know what other reel that might fit. I'm going to be on the lookout for more of these handles.

Thanks to Mo, Fred and others who helped me along the way!  

original post: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=14318.0

mo65

Quote from: Decker on September 07, 2017, 03:55:59 PM

Thanks to Mo, Fred and others who helped me along the way! 

You're welcome Joe. We all learned a cool little modification here...great work! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

STRIPER LOU

Good job Joe. That handle has a unique shape and seems to go well on the Jiggy. Nicely done!

.............Lou

Swami805

That is a unique looking handle, I like the chrome band. Looks like the style of a late 50's car with fins. Very nice
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Decker

Here is another Mitchell handle that I put on a Squidder (145 width), using the hardware that Fred supplied: