500 to 501 conversion kit?

Started by Jkjhung, September 07, 2017, 08:47:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jkjhung

I am thinking about picking up a Jigmaster 500 that has been converted to LH, and then converting that to a sweet narrow spool 501-LH.  I see that Scott's has the 501 conversion kit with aluminum spool for $88, but I was wondering if there are other options out there.  Any intel? 

alantani

the tiburon kits are going to be more!  that might be your best deal.  or possibly find something on ebay. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Swami805

Check with Randy at vintage Offshore Tackle on here he might have something, tiburon or newell parts. Pro  challenger makes a nice spool.. Cheapest might be a 501 on ebay, swap the parts and sell it. No shortage of options for that reel
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Jkjhung

Quote from: Swami805 on September 07, 2017, 11:07:17 PM
Check with Randy at vintage Offshore Tackle on here he might have something, tiburon or newell parts. Pro  challenger makes a nice spool.. Cheapest might be a 501 on ebay, swap the parts and sell it. No shortage of options for that reel

I like that idea.  Now to find a 501 on fleabay with an aluminum spool.

Thanks guys

coastal_dan

Check locally as well, Craigslist or your local Facebook Fishermans Garage Sale page.  Most of the 501's are priced way too high on eBay.  Also, check out a 506 if you are interested in the Narrow's, just pay a mind that they do have different spools.  Good luck in your search!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Jkjhung

Quote from: coastal_dan on September 08, 2017, 12:16:34 PM
Check locally as well, Craigslist or your local Facebook Fishermans Garage Sale page.  Most of the 501's are priced way too high on eBay.  Also, check out a 506 if you are interested in the Narrow's, just pay a mind that they do have different spools.  Good luck in your search!

Thanks! Will keep that in mind.  I saw a couple on fleabay that are reasonably priced and come with aluminum spool. But yes some are very overpriced

JRD

Quote from: Jkjhung on September 07, 2017, 08:47:50 PM
I am thinking about picking up a Jigmaster 500 that has been converted to LH, and then converting that to a sweet narrow spool 501-LH.  I see that Scott's has the 501 conversion kit with aluminum spool for $88, but I was wondering if there are other options out there.  Any intel? 

Check with Randy I just bought a full Newell 501 that was excellent from him then turned around found another 501 and bought a tiburon frame from him.  Fantastic reels, parts and prices.  Buy a whole 501 from him then make ur reel and use the left overs to make a 500 to sell and recoup some cost.

redfish12

I just put it together that you're the same guy from SOL! Randy of Vintage Offshore Tackle is actually the one to thank for the 146LH that you now have as he helped me source the oh so hard to find gears!

I posted some pictures on SOL for you for my Jigmaster 501. I could make it cheaper if I keep the black side plates and handle (SS stock Penn handle with the rubber grip) and sub in a football style handle and red side plates. Just let me know!

Jkjhung

Quote from: redfish12 on September 12, 2017, 01:31:03 AM
I just put it together that you're the same guy from SOL! Randy of Vintage Offshore Tackle is actually the one to thank for the 146LH that you now have as he helped me source the oh so hard to find gears!

I posted some pictures on SOL for you for my Jigmaster 501. I could make it cheaper if I keep the black side plates and handle (SS stock Penn handle with the rubber grip) and sub in a football style handle and red side plates. Just let me know!

Haha yup that's me.  Are the red plates 501 plates or 500?  I don't mind the handle, as I will probably upgrade that myself in the future.

I shot Randy a message last night.  Looking forward to see what he's got.  That 146LH is sweet.  The reason why I'm taking on this 501LH project is because I like the 146LH so much.   

Thanks,
Jon

redfish12

Good luck finding the parts! The maroon plates I have are for a 500 too. Glad you're putting that reel to use! Post some catch pictures here if you have a chance

George6308

I just rebuilt a maroon side plate 501 with one of Mo's (MysticParts.com) spools. Excellent part. Hardest choice was to chose the color of the spool

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Alto Mare

Quote from: George6308 on September 15, 2017, 12:23:45 AM
I just rebuilt a maroon side plate 501 with one of Mo's (MysticParts.com) spools. Excellent part. Hardest choice was to chose the color of the spool
George, you need to post some pics or we won't believe you :). What color did you settle on?

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

George6308

Silver

Alto Mare

That looks good George, it would look even better with one of these and maybe a custom handle.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/33N-113.aspx
That spool is nicely done.

Sal

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

thorhammer

Sweet reels! Sal is right about the clamp. Another thing I do is to cut the studs to fit the rod it will live on and use acorn nuts instead of wing nuts. Much sleeker.