Bidding on a 349hc on ebay

Started by mikeysm, September 09, 2017, 02:34:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeysm

I have been bidding on a 349hc on ebay. The last few reels someone has been running up the bid on me. So the I let them win and pulled out when the bid got beyond the value of the reel. They ate the reel they most likely they didn't want. So I will be ready this time and they can out bid me again. I set the price and that is where it will stay. If they go past they paid to much for it. I can't stand when they do that so from now on this will be standard practise for me.

Mike

Shark Hunter

Mike,
If there is a reel I want. I wait until the last minute to bid.
If it is going to end when I'm sleeping, I just bid before bed and let the chips fall.
If it is past my comfort zone. No need.
If you don't win. There will be more chances. Just be Patient.
Daron
Life is Good!

mikeysm

I have learned to set my comfort zone myself. And it pays off. The guy that went for it bought it. He better have a use for it.
Mike

Rancanfish

Yeah, happens a lot.  If it was worth more to him / her, so be it.  (Wasn't me  ;D).

Sometimes if you don't want to wait you have to overpay.  I saw a reel I was looking at go to at least $100 over its value.  Still haven't figured that out.

Don't get frustrated. The other guy doesn't care.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

mikeysm

Nos 349h & hc reels are on ebay at least once a month. They made a ton of these reels. So I can set the bid and wait. No last minute bidding for me anymore. I have it up high enough so no lowball bid here.

Mike

MarkT

Know what you're willing to pay and don't go a penny over that. There's always another one.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Tiddlerbasher

mikeysm

Someone will snipe me at the last second. They dont want to start a bidding frenzy. If they do they will pay two times its real value. My bid is higher than what I paid for the last two nos 349 I bid on. So they are not getting off cheap. If I could find outer rings for a 349 I would put several together with new parts. No such luck yet. Its like poker you have to pay to see the cards.

Mike

Newell Nut

When you see a lot of bids early in the listing it is usually shill bidding done by pawn shop employees or seller's friends. If you see something you really want wait until 10 seconds is left and bid your max.

Tiddlerbasher

Yeah - I'm still looking for decent outer rings (without splits) this side of the pond. I've already found the hen's teeth and rocking horse poo ;D ;D

mikeysm

They are pecking away here and there trying to find the top.They dont want to pay to much for it. Well they are going to need a much higher bid to find out. I think it will be a last minute bid from someone. He will have to explain to his wife why he spent so much money on a reel.

Mike

foakes

Everyone is different --

Different motives, needs, knowledge levels, incomes, buying and selling experience, and a thousand other variables.

Lots of reels out there to choose from --

If I was looking for a nice 349HC -- I would ask Randy Pauly at Vintage Offshore, on our site -- about what he has.

No drama, no gouging -- just a straight up, fair deal on a properly described reel.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tiddlerbasher

mikeysm

A fair point is don't run up a bid on something you don't intend on buying. As far as Randy goes I will problem buy what he has in nos also. Right now I want anything that comes up on Ebay. I also want the bidding to be fair. If you run up a bid make sure your interested in buying it.

foakes

In a perfect world, you would be right, Mikey --

Sniping is common in the last 10 seconds, plus there are automatic sniping programs that folks use, they bid up the price in increments just to find out where your bid is -- then withdraw their bids if too high, they have buddies that run up the bidding for them, shill bidders, straw purchasers, and every other scheme that we have never thought of -- because we try to do things the right way...

If there is something I want on eBay -- I look for a BIN that is a new listing and reasonable -- then just buy it.

If selling, I set no reserve -- and start everything at 99 cents with no reserve -- and let it ride.

The definition of an oxymoron, IMO -- is eBay and fairness in the same sentence.

And quite frankly -- this site we belong to that gets around 3,000,000 hits a month -- has also tended to increase prices on certain reels we are interested in.

So, good luck in your search -- but there are plenty of reels -- so whatever you want will come along sooner or later.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.