Spiral Wrap Advice - Guide Size and #

Started by Smols, September 09, 2017, 05:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smols

I will be wrapping my first spiral wrapped rod using a Calstar 800M blank that will be paired with a Pro Gear 545 to be used mostly for jigging, but also to fish live bait and cast surface iron.

I have the general concept of how to place the first guides to transition 180 degrees to the bottom of the rod - through trial and error to get the line to look straight from a side view while under load.

My question is what guide sizes to use and how many on this 8' rod? I have read that the stripper guide is to be smaller on an acid wrap than a conventionally wrapped rod - and that less guides are necessary with an acid wrap.

For sizing, I am thinking 20, 16, 12, 12, 10, 10, 10, 8, 8, 8 tip top. Does this sound about right?

Where is the best place to purchase guides?

Do real seats work better than deck hand style on acid wrapped rods?

Thanks,
Smols

Newell Nut

I have a couple 800Ms and they are nice rods. For spiral wrap go with a 20, 16, 12, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10. Alps 80 lb class set up nice and another favorite is the Fuji SINs. The SINs have a nice profile for spirals.

I get all my supplies from Get Bit Outdoors.

Dwight

droppedit

I agree with Dwight on the guide sizes and the Fuji's. I've always used 2 #16's but that is my preference and they are on heavy jig rods. The Fuji BHNNG Sin are my favorites because of their lower profile and I like the pressed ring for casting. This limits the chance of the knot popping the ring out on the cast. My saying this just killed that theory! I'd stay with the 10's to give more clearance for the leader knot. Many places to shop for parts online but I've had rather good luck with www.anglersworkshop.com They have been very fast getting the order out and use USPS shipping for most items. Hope this helps.

Dave
Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

Smols

Thanks Dwight and Dave for your input!

I just completed my order for everything I will need for this build at anglersworkshop and I like that site - easy to find what I was looking for and easy to navigate.

As far as the number of guides to use on a spiral wrapped rod, it looks like only 8 or 9 are necessary for an 8' rod???

Most of my standard 8' rods have 10 or 11 guides - including the tip top - but since most are under the blank on a spiral wrap, less guides are better?

Best regards,
Smols

thunnus69

Don't forget to take into account the direction of the wrap.  It makes a difference for left or right handed reels.  I have been spiral wrapping for 10 years and wrap all my personal rods this way.  I use a pvc tube bolted to one end of my work table.  I insert the blank and with a reel clamped on it I get a good bend in the rod and begin my layout of guides from this position.  Good luck. 

gstours

As a chime in..... Anglers workshop has done me good...... If you shop around you might find better....  or be disappointed.   You usuallaly get what you pay for.    If thats important????   many a low price has been remembered after a low price has been forgotten?????? ???