Patching Bakelite

Started by Crow, September 09, 2017, 06:53:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

Hi, ! 
    Somewhere on here, I saw someone (maybe Sid ?) had a trick for patching chips in bakelte....mixing bakelite "fillings" with epoxy. I *assume* you use a clear setting epoxy, but, after that....a 50 /50 mix of dust to epoxy ?  More dust than that ?  Any advice would be appreciated ! I have a 100 Surfmaster with "chips" almost everywhere...both end caps, and also on the edge of the spool. It appears to be a pretty old one...no part #'s on the stand, or handle....and I thought it might be one to "experiment" on.  Thanks !.......Crow
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

RowdyW

Hi Crow, yes Sid was the one that did a post on repairing side plates. He also repaired a aluminum spool edge for me. Send him a PM and I'm sure he can steer you to the tutorial on it.         Rudy

Midway Tommy

The ORCA Cleaning, Restoration & Repair Book , third from the bottom of the page, is chock-full of tips from many of the most knowledgeable reel enthusiasts in the world. Every serious collector of older reels, or those who repair them, should have a copy at arm's length.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Crow

Here's a few pix of what I want to try to "patch"....the endplates, will, I *think* be fairly straightforward....the spool...maybe not so much !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Tiddlerbasher

The reel mice have been busy ;D

Crow

They surely were !  I did have a "brainstorm" about the spool....I have a "busted up" 190......and the spool is the only thing any good on it....and it's the same, so, even though I'll probably try patching the spool.....I have a good one, to use ! I bought the 190....with a busted up head plate, because I needed a reel stand, and it had a handle I needed. I plan on using that busted up end cap for my "dust".

sdlehr

All of that is doable, but the side plate repairs will have to be done in stages, and the spool may not be balanced well enough afterwards, depending on the density of the patch material....
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Cor

Somewhere in my memory banks something tells me stuff does not stick very well to Bakelite, but if Sid says so then my memory is probably not very accurate. ;)
Looks like a challenging job to fix that spool.
Cornelis

Crow

Well, my "body work" is done !  The spool was actually the easiest part to repair ! I made a "dam" with tape ( or, maybe "form" would be  a better term ?) along the "outside" of the spool, and flowed the epoxy into it. when set, I ground the "inside " of the spool, to get the material to clear the "click button".....and things seem pretty good.  Side plates patched pretty well, too, with the exception of "color"....they were the first things patched....and my "mix" turned out a "different color black"....but, it's "good enough for who it's for" !   Thanks, again, for the tips !!

PacRat

Nice bondo job! Wanna come over and do some 'tin-knocking' on my jeep?
-Mike

Bryan Young

Wow, nice work. I hope it holds up.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tightlines667

That is impressive.

Well done!
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

mike1010

Very nice job on that spool.  I've got an aluminum spool for a 146L that's got a chunk out of the edge, and will try something like that.  The chunk is bigger than you were dealing with, and I've got my doubts that the repair will hold, but these spools are rare.  Nothing to lose but a little time and epoxy.

--Mike

Crow

Perhaps, if before you try the epoxy, you would put some modeler's clay on the inside, around the rim, install it, and give it a "spin", ...that way, you could check clearances to the click tongue (or bridge, if it's the other side of the spool). That might give you an idea if there is enough room to "build up" the entire inside rim a bit. I think the "patch" would be much stronger, if it was "bridged" inside by another layer of epoxy ?!
   I had room for *about * a 1/64" layer, all the way around the inside rim. I could let it "extend" down from the rim about a 64th, too. I started with *more than that", and had to grind most of it away, for clearance...I wasn't smart enough to think of the clay BEFORE I added the glue :(!

mike1010

Good idea.  And if I have the room, I will embed a small piece of thin fabric in the epoxy bridging, to create a laminate.