Patching Bakelite

Started by Crow, September 09, 2017, 06:53:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

Or, instead of fabric, perhaps a "circle" of fine, stiff wire ?  A person could "scratch" the wire, so the epoxy would have a "tooth" to bind to.
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Crow

Well, I tried it again...different reel, different problem. I have an "e-bay 99" that is "just up my alley"...CHEAP ! Less than $19 bucks, to put it in my hand. The only "reel" problem is the eccentric / lever....it must have : A, never been lubed, or B, used in the sand...a lot! The raised "boss" around the eccentric lever was ground down, to the point the lever was dragging on the end plate. It had a pretty good groove dug, and the "slop" was allowing the pin on the inside to jump out of the slot (about half way) causing it to jam.
    I "formed the inside of the bore with Scotch tape, and made my "pour" around the worn areas...filling the "grooves and scratches" as best I could. After filing, and sanding (and a little scraping , inside the hole) things are "mechanically" working...."cosmetically" ....not so hot ! Along the "deep" areas of the scratches and grooves, the epoxy bonded well, and except for the "color difference " blended in very well. Different story on the areas that needed "feathered in"....when I get the epoxy down to the original level of the bakelite...it starts to "flake away"...so, I quit trying, before I screwed it up, too bad ::).
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Bill B

Im liking what Im seeing brother.....May have to send a few your way for repair  :D....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Crow

I have a few other "messed up" sideplates to experiment on....I just can't seem to get the "color" correct ???, or, maybe it's the "sheen", anyway, there is a noticeable difference. I think if I spent more time "polishing", it would help, too. I just picked up a 4/0 special...in a bag!...that has some serious "structural damage" to the head plate, so as soon as I can find a red plate for 'donor material", I want to see if the "patching" will be strong enough to stand up .
    This isn't the time of year I usually work on "inside" projects, but my wife is recovering from some surgery, and , I need to stay "close", so I've been "doing reels", instead of "using reels" ;)