Thresher

Started by FatTuna, September 10, 2017, 04:14:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FatTuna

Yesterday we were fishing for bluefin and had an unusual catch. First we marked a pile of bait on the bottom. We could see that it was getting pushed up off the bottom by something. A few seconds later we were tight on the shark. It had some serious weight to it. I've never caught one before. They are pretty uncommon this far north. The video didn't come out great because I was trying to drive the boat but it shows a glimpse of the shark. 

Ron Jones

What did you do with the shark? I fing threshers tasty.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

FatTuna

We let it go. I've heard they are a good eating shark.

Shark Hunter

They are very Tasty.
Flaky and Delicious.
Life is Good!

FatTuna

I was mesmerized by the tail. At first, I only saw the white spot and not the body of the shark. I was confused as hell.

It's such a strange looking creature. I watched a video on youtube and apparently they use that tail as whip to stun fish. It flings it over it's head like a scorpion.

xjchad

That's a big thresher! Nice catch!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Steve-O

What he said!  Very cool, thanks for sharing.

steelfish

wow, pretty awesome, cool video
The Baja Guy

FatTuna

Thanks guys ;D.

Headed out tomorrow at 4am. Hopefully we get lucky. If I get the chance, I'll try to film some more stuff.

Shark Hunter

Those Threshers have a Blunt nose. Pretty weird looking indeed.
I have eaten quite a few Thresher Steaks when I was stationed in San Diego.
We would buy them from the local Fisherman's market.
When we tried to grill them the first time, they just fell apart.
Then we learned to coat them with Mayonnaise to give them a little crust to hold them together.
We cooked them on foil after that with the Mayo to hold them together. They were the best tasting Shark I've ever eaten.
Melts in your mouth. :P
Life is Good!

Ron Jones

Grandma always baked the steaks with garlic and butter and then crusted them in a skillet at the end. I think the butter did the same as the mayo. You need a little fat to give the outside some skin. Unbelievably good!
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

David Hall

I hooked one like that in Monterey Bay it used that tail to smack the line and break it.  Daron has since sent me hooks and leaders that won't break.  I'm looking forward to trying them out in October.  Cool video, and be very cautious about bringing one of them alongside your boat and leaning over to get a look at him, that tail is a lethal weapon.

Bill B

Cool fish...good luck tomorrow....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

The Great Maudu

Great video. It's something to see a fish put a bend like that in a stout rod.

Benni3

X12 very cool video,,,and good luck tomorrow  ;D