114h Newell Black Marlin/Super Six

Started by Yogi_fish808, September 10, 2017, 05:09:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yogi_fish808

Quote from: Army_of_One on October 28, 2017, 02:56:49 PM
I managed to pick one of these up, but I can't find that much info on it.  I didn't want to start a new thread since this one was perfectly titled and had a nice example in the first post.  It seems that this was a conversion kit, so I am to assume the only differences are the spool, posts and base.  Much like the difference in HL to HLW?  I know for a fact the screws for the handle side posts are stock 114H, as I used one for the 115L.  I've also read that the Black Marlin holds the same amount line as a 115L.  Is there somewhere that all of this info can be found?

The info is probably scattered around on this forum but you pretty much have the gist of it. The Newell 114h Black Marlin kit came in a box that included the Aluminum spool, Stainless posts and aluminum reel seat. It was just an extension kit, just like those available for other penns. The capacity should be the same as a 9/0, while being lighter and more compact. I believe there are Newell 114H stainless gears out there, 3:1 or 3.25:1 I forget which it is.

Army_of_One

Quote from: Yogi_fish808 on October 31, 2017, 05:16:45 AM
Quote from: Army_of_One on October 28, 2017, 02:56:49 PM
I managed to pick one of these up, but I can't find that much info on it.  I didn't want to start a new thread since this one was perfectly titled and had a nice example in the first post.  It seems that this was a conversion kit, so I am to assume the only differences are the spool, posts and base.  Much like the difference in HL to HLW?  I know for a fact the screws for the handle side posts are stock 114H, as I used one for the 115L.  I've also read that the Black Marlin holds the same amount line as a 115L.  Is there somewhere that all of this info can be found?

The info is probably scattered around on this forum but you pretty much have the gist of it. The Newell 114h Black Marlin kit came in a box that included the Aluminum spool, Stainless posts and aluminum reel seat. It was just an extension kit, just like those available for other penns. The capacity should be the same as a 9/0, while being lighter and more compact. I believe there are Newell 114H stainless gears out there, 3:1 or 3.25:1 I forget which it is.

Thank you!  That's the stuff I was looking for.  Do you know if the gears came with the kit? 
Another day in Paradise!

Bryan Young

gears were a separate item.  I purchased a set of gears and I have no idea where they are.  I'm not sure if I loaned them out for measurements or installed them in a reel, or just lost inventory...arg...
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Army_of_One

Quote from: Bryan Young on October 31, 2017, 02:13:54 PM
gears were a separate item.  I purchased a set of gears and I have no idea where they are.  I'm not sure if I loaned them out for measurements or installed them in a reel, or just lost inventory...arg...
Other than composition, how did they differ from the steel gear of the era?
Another day in Paradise!

Yogi_fish808

Newell stainless gears are heat treated so they're very very durable. Penn stock 114h gears brass and steel are all 2.8:1 and aftermarket stainless gears are 3.25:1. Imo with reels over 113h size you're less concerned with high speed retrieve and and more so on a good balance of torque/power so I'd just run the steel oem ones. If your reel has the brass gears then maybe consider upgrading to stainless if you're upgrading the drags. Reels over 113h size are outside my realm of expertise so defer to the experts like Sharkhunter, Bryan, Sal, etc.

Army_of_One

Quote from: Yogi_fish808 on November 02, 2017, 12:04:49 PM
Newell stainless gears are heat treated so they're very very durable. Penn stock 114h gears brass and steel are all 2.8:1 and aftermarket stainless gears are 3.25:1. Imo with reels over 113h size you're less concerned with high speed retrieve and and more so on a good balance of torque/power so I'd just run the steel oem ones. If your reel has the brass gears then maybe consider upgrading to stainless if you're upgrading the drags. Reels over 113h size are outside my realm of expertise so defer to the experts like Sharkhunter, Bryan, Sal, etc.
The steel gears I have are beautiful, so I hadn't planned on changing them.  I was just wondering if I had a Newell set or not. 
I feel better about cutting the plates now that I know they're generic for the Newell edition.  You have been very helpful, and I hope we've compiled the majority of the info into this thread.  Thank you. ;D
Another day in Paradise!

Yogi_fish808

Quote from: Army_of_One on November 02, 2017, 01:35:34 PM
The steel gears I have are beautiful, so I hadn't planned on changing them.  I was just wondering if I had a Newell set or not. 
I feel better about cutting the plates now that I know they're generic for the Newell edition.  You have been very helpful, and I hope we've compiled the majority of the info into this thread.  Thank you. ;D

Oh you're double dogging it! Haha eventually I'll get around to doing that with mine. Jesus the leaf sping makes even the single dog LOUD!

Army_of_One

Quote from: Yogi_fish808 on November 03, 2017, 03:53:54 AM
Quote from: Army_of_One on November 02, 2017, 01:35:34 PM

Oh you're double dogging it! Haha eventually I'll get around to doing that with mine. Jesus the leaf sping makes even the single dog LOUD!
You should hear Daron's "minigun" 12.   ;D  I've decided to go a different route with my Black Marlin.  ;)
Another day in Paradise!

Gfish

Quote from: Shark Hunter on October 28, 2017, 10:01:40 PM
Robin,
I'm no expert, but the plates on the above reel with the boat on the non handle side and the dark maroon color are the oldest version of the 114H quick access plates. The later bright red ones are injection molded and not near the quality of these.
I haven't had a problem with the later bright ones, but I know there was a recall on them that has long expired.

Never heard about this before. Good info. Thanks Daron.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!