Long Beach question

Started by Stevedel, September 11, 2017, 01:43:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevedel

How many different size side plates does the Long Beach series have?

I want to build one, using a silver Tiburon frame, and find that the only one available is for the 259. Is there a different Long Beach that I could use it on?

Thank you,
Steve

alantani

here are the long beach schematics.  if i have time, i'll go back and take a look, but for now you can see what parts match up and if you can switch parts around.  on first glance, i don't think the frame will fit any of the other long beach reels.   :-\

https://www.mysticparts.com//PennParts/Conventional.aspx#Longbeach

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Stevedel

So, there must be more than just two side plate sizes for the Long Beach or perhaps there is another reason.

I think that I will search for the right Long Beach anyway. Maybe I can convince Tiburon to sell me an undrilled frame and I'll drill and tap it myself. Of course, I will need to find the proper Long Beach and compare it to the reels I have that Tiburon does make a frame for. This is going to get a little more involved than I originally intended. That's O.K. I'm old, retired and don't have enough to do.

Thanks, Alan

Steve

alantani

one thing to consider.  the drag range in these reels is not really high enough to torque the bar frame very much.  off the top, i really wouldn't think that a tiburon frame would be of much benefit.  
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Stevedel

Perhaps not. I really have no quarrel with the way any of my Penn salt reels perform.

The Tiburon frame just looks cool. I'm planning a new rod, using an old, gold Fenwick fiberglass  blank that has been hanging around and a modded 140. If I wrap the rod with a nice maroon thread, the 140 looks to be just the reel to use.

My favorite setup, so far, is a Fenwick fiberglass 1870C and a 112H with 30 lb. mono. The new setup should be a bit softer and with 20lb. mono line, should be just the thing for stripers.

Thanks, Alan, I appreciate your honesty.

Steve

Stevedel

Sorry, Alan, I was caught up in thinking about my latest project. When I read your reply, I forgot that I started this thread concerning the Long Beach series.

I didn't mean to go off topic, but I did.

Steve

sdlehr

Quote from: Stevedel on September 11, 2017, 03:42:48 AM
So, there must be more than just two side plate sizes for the Long Beach or perhaps there is another reason.

The Longbeach 60 and 65 use the same size plate, the 66, 67 and 68 use a larger size plate, and the 61, 62 and 63 use a smaller size plate.... then, if you really want to consider the Longbeach Deluxe models and the Live Bait Caster, you've got other size plates and a drastically different design to talk about.... but those reels don't really have anything in common with the Longbeach series other than the name. Since the Deluxe models evolved into the Senator series you might find a match there, but not the 259, that's  in a class by itself.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

thorhammer

Sid, maybe I haven't finished my coffee, but I think some jigmaster parts fit 259? I think Bryan and Mo souped them up and I have one but I don't recall what I may have done to it lol.

A 65LB can be blown out wide using a  112 Spool, bars, and 30-200 stand. That was actually my first Franken Penn.

Stevedel

Thank you Sid and Thorhammer.

This helps me wrap my mind around the Long Beach series. I get the Senators, Jigmasters, Squidders and the levelwinds. I just need to understand the Long Beach series, the Surfmasters and some of the other Penn lesser knowns.

Looking forward to acquiring a few Long Beach series to use as "loaners" when I go out with a friend or relative. That doesn't mean that they will be treated with anything less than full respect.

This also gives me an excuse to attempt more rod building projects.

Good fishing, Steve

akfish

I have to ask: What are the 61, 62, and 63 Long Beaches? And when were they made? I thought I knew this series...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Stevedel

O.K. Thorhammer, that's twice thanks.

If the 65LB can use 112 bits, perhaps it can use a re-drilled 112 Tiburon frame. If not, I can E-bay another 112h, use the frame on that and move the old bits to the Long Beach.

I'm thinking that this may work out.

thorhammer

Note: 112 and 112 H are very different reels. You bring up a good point.  The H frame may fit.  Be sure about spool compatibility.  112 and 112h very different. 

Stevedel

That's O.K., Thorhammer.

I can always source a 112 spool. It's not like I was looking for Unobtainium.

Or, I can pick up an E-bay 112. I don't have one of those.

That's a thrice thanks.

thorhammer

Yessir. pics on this please, and keep us updated. This could turn out very cool. and gove me something to do with the LB's and 3/0's I have in totes...

mo65

Quote from: akfish on September 11, 2017, 03:08:05 PM
I have to ask: What are the 61, 62, and 63 Long Beaches? And when were they made? I thought I knew this series...

These were the early Long Beaches with smaller diameter side plates...100,
150, and 200yd. models. These models were cancelled in 1940.8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~