Long Beach question

Started by Stevedel, September 11, 2017, 01:43:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swill88

Anybody have the lowdown on the LB 267 & 268?

I've got a 267 nib that I haven't opened yet. What am I missing?

Thanks, Steve

Stevedel

Well, Swill88,

I cannot speak with authority but the 267 and 268 appear to be a modern version of the Long Beach 67 and 68. They feature an aluminum spool. The 268 is just a bit wider than the 267. I'm sure there are other improvements.

Thorhammer,

I will certainly document the evolution of my Long Beach. I first need to find a nice 60 or 65 that is not cosmetically challenged. This may take a while. Que music: Searchin' I'm always searchin', searchin' someday I'll find, doopa-doopa-doopa-doopa.

sdlehr

You guys should buy Mike C's Penn books, all will be revealed, and more!

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

thorhammer

Steve, 267 and 268 have graphite frame instead of six posts and stand.

swill88

Quote from: thorhammer on September 12, 2017, 02:31:22 AM
Steve, 267 and 268 have graphite frame instead of six posts and stand.

thanks John...I'm gonna open the box this weekend

thorhammer

Hey Sid, do you have the small three? I've never come across any of those.

Stevedel

Damn! I keep looking for a suitable Long Beach for modification and experimentation. I have been searching E-bay diligently.

So far I have come up with two pristeen Squidders (140,146), a beautiful, unfished Jigmaster (deep burgundy with round posts rather than bars, chromed bronze spool that shows no evidence of even having line on it) and a 200 Surfmaster. Maybe I can do something with the Surfmaster when it arrives. I certainly don't want to molest the other three.

O well, I'll keep looking.

sdlehr

Quote from: thorhammer on September 12, 2017, 10:46:44 AM
Hey Sid, do you have the small three? I've never come across any of those.
No, I've only seen one of the three smaller LBs on eBay. Ever. It was shortly before we all met in Philly for the Penn tour last spring. Theyr'e in the tote with the hens teeth....
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

thorhammer

No kidding.  Never even heard of them before AT.

Dude there's plenty you can do in the Surfmaster. However functionally the gears are small so will become the weak link after drags, frame, power handle, stainless sleeve. Some do have carbon steel gears though and can soup for a good size fish.

mo65

Quote from: thorhammer on September 14, 2017, 09:22:25 PM
Dude there's plenty you can do in the Surfmaster.

Absolutely! You can narrow it, add a frame, double dog it, add stainless steel components, and hop up the drag. Change the handle, the star, or the spool. A Surfmaster is a blank canvas. 8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

thorhammer

Cmon Mo.  you already posted the Monofil today.

I'd say "killing me Smallzzzz" except I know I can hide behind you and I'm 250 lol!

Swami805

The world is your oyster with a 200. Here's one with a full Newell kit and a progear handle. Nice small versatile reel
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Stevedel

So, It appears to me that the most productive path is to keep going over the Jigmaster/Squidder/Surfmaster forum with a fine toothed comb. More information is better than less.

Thank you lady and gentlemen, the information presented here is invaluable.

thorhammer

no you didn't just say jigmaster....the AR-15 of the reel world, in terms of stuff you can do to it.

Stevedel

Thanks, guys, for all of your positive feedback on the Surfmaster.

I think I am going to have a side-by-side upgrade project on the Surfmaster and my new Long Beach 60. Well, maybe not new but sure looks like it.

I found the Long Beach on E-bay. It was shown with a blue/white box and 34B instruction and parts booklet. The chrome is beautiful, has a chromed bronze spool and the side-plate screws appear to be unmolested. Looks like someone bought it, used it once and put it on the shelf. I have the perfect rod for it, an old home-built boat rod with chrome real-seat, roller guides and hardwood handle. It should be period perfect. Well, until I start on the upgrades.

Looks to be a fun winter.